Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Should I get my money back?

A sister of my fiances friend offered to watch my son for the month of August in her home as my 8 year old son was on a waiting list for the daycare and she has a son his age as well and was watching other kids during the summer. She offered to watch him for $500 for August as I was starting a new job at the beginning of August. She is not licensed, regulated or accredited in anythig pertaining to child care so essentiall just a babysitter. She did not provide a written contract. I was at my job for 2 weeks and it was absolutely horrible. It was conveyed to be a great place to work by the boss however when I started the people were absolutely miserable, they did not 'do tax forms' to claim dependants, and their accountant quit some time before and refused to come in and do the proper paycheques for payday. I have never quit a job after 2 weeks, I am a legal assistant and have worked at 2 firms in the past 6 years. I quit at the end of the second week and therefore did not take my son to her during the day. Towards the end of August I asked if I could have $250 back as he was only there for 9 days. She is refusing to give it back and said 'I am running a business and that's how it works'. Do you think I'm entitled to half of it back since he wasn't there and she isn't a formal dayhome?

You had a verbal agreement that you broke. Most providers charge by enrollment not attendance. So no I don't think she should give you back any money. FYI: anyone who proves more then 10 hours/week of care to a child is NOT a babysitter, they are by law a provider. At least in Ontario.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It sounds like she is a dcprovider not a babysitter, so I agree with blue rose.

In the future, I'd consider choosing a provider with a contract so you can avoid situations like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    It sounds like she is a dcprovider not a babysitter, so I agree with blue rose.

In the future, I'd consider choosing a provider with a contract so you can avoid situations like this.
    Wouldn't I be able to report her then for running a dayhome without having a permit and license?

Euphoric !
    What province are you in?

I don't know all the province rules but here in mb she would be fine and legal if she's a private daycare

Did she provide a receipt? That is mandatory in any province as she is required to claim her income.

What province are you in?

I don't know all the province rules but here in mb she would be fine and legal if she's a private daycare

Did she provide a receipt? That is mandatory in any province as she is required to claim her income.
    But licenses must be for a reason? Otherwise no one would get them. No receipt, just my etransfer is my evidence, no contract, nothing stipulating I have to give notice to get my money back. She wasn't put out by my son not going, she already admitted to using the money to take the other kids on field trips!

Sorry I'm in alberta.

Euphoric !
    In Ontario she can't have a license (unless with an agency). She can still operate without a license, she is just considered "private" not illegal.

Euphoric !
    Licenses allow for more kids and allow providers to offer subsidy. There are plenty of legal private daycares. Hopefully someone from AB can explain how it works there.

I'm not 100% sure but I would think your verbal agreement would stand. Without a contract I think you might be outta luck!

If I were you, I'd still send him and hit the pavement to find a new job. It would be much easier to find a new job without having a child tag along.

Licenses allow for more kids and allow providers to offer subsidy. There are plenty of legal private daycares. Hopefully someone from AB can explain how it works there.

I'm not 100% sure but I would think your verbal agreement would stand. Without a contract I think you might be outta luck!

If I were you, I'd still send him and hit the pavement to find a new job. It would be much easier to find a new job without having a child tag along.
    I'm not sending him there again with someone like that. She also fed him really crappy, hot dogs and McDonald's. Morally I think she should give the money back. I wouldn't think twice about it if it were me. To give me attitude and demand that she's running a 'business' when she has no license or permit and that's how businesses work is ridiculous. We're talking informal babysitting out of someone's house. She smokes and just got married at the beginning of the month so I can see why she would want to keep it out of greed. But morally it's not right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast