Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Unfortunately, it sounds like it will just be a big lesson to have learnt. Next time be sure to ask for a menu plan, if they smoke or not, what they do during the day etc and please make sure you have a contract!! It covers both parties in situations like these

I get that you're upset about not needing care anymore but in her defence, I'd likely do the same. I only request payment 2 weeks at a time but once money is paid there are no refunds. Of course We spend our money once paid, just like everyone else. She couldn't have known that you'd back out of the agreement so I don't think it was morally wrong for her to spend it or to say no refunds.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad1986 View Post
    I'm not sending him there again with someone like that. She also fed him really crappy, hot dogs and McDonald's. Morally I think she should give the money back. I wouldn't think twice about it if it were me. To give me attitude and demand that she's running a 'business' when she has no license or permit and that's how businesses work is ridiculous. We're talking informal babysitting out of someone's house. She smokes and just got married at the beginning of the month so I can see why she would want to keep it out of greed. But morally it's not right.
    You bash her, question her ability to legally watch children YET you PAID her to watch your own CHILD? What does this say about you? She is such a horrible person therefore you don't value/love your child enough to choose a better caregiver? Interesting...

Your money is no longer your money you paid it to her with the agreement to have her available to care for your child for the month of august...she is still there available to care for him so you broke the contract (verbal) therefore you do not receive money back. It is now her money to do as she pleases with.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    You bash her, question her ability to legally watch children YET you PAID her to watch your own CHILD? What does this say about you? She is such a horrible person therefore you don't value/love your child enough to choose a better caregiver? Interesting...

Your money is no longer your money you paid it to her with the agreement to have her available to care for your child for the month of august...she is still there available to care for him so you broke the contract (verbal) therefore you do not receive money back. It is now her money to do as she pleases with.
    I never questioned her ability to 'legally' watch my child, whatever that means. She is the school bus driver for my sons route and has a son of her own his age and I obviously wouldn't have sent him there if I knew what she was like beforehand. Duh! There are 4 days left in the month of August why the hell would I send him there now??

I just moved to this town and know nobody. My son is on a waiting list for daycare and I've already been screwed Over by a dayhome. She knew my situation. She also tried to increase the price the day before I started despite the fact we had an agreement all summer. One cannot be expected to stay in a situation where it is unconscionable to stay which is what the situation was for my job.

Starting to feel at home...
    You say that morally, she should give the money back. Morally, I don't think you should have asked for the money back. A daycare provider relies on their income just like everyone else does. Like others said, you had a verbal agreement. It is not the daycare providers fault that you took your child out. Also, running a home daycare IS a business. I'm in Ontario, but many providers here do not work for a licensed agency and we are still running a business. I'm not sure of the laws in Alberta but it's clear that you aren't either. You should do your homework and see what the rules are about licensing in your province. This provider could very well be running a legal, legitimate, unlicensed home daycare.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lplplp For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad1986 View Post
    Wouldn't I be able to report her then for running a dayhome without having a permit and license?
    This implies that you think she is running an illegal daycare.

Euphoric !
    I think it's a matter of opinion whether she screwed you over or not. You had a deal you both agreed too, you paid her for it, she's available for the service you paid for but yet it is YOU that broke the contract. IMO, I don't think she screwed you over at all. If anything she gave you a deal. I am almost positive AB charges more than MB and a months care here is $600-700.

I'm sorry you felt the need to quit your job but to be fair that is on you, not your provider.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Of course I was getting a deal! Why should she get the same financial benefit as someone who was licensed and had a permit and was regulated by an agency without having those qualifications?! It would be a little different if she was a formal dayhome or daycare and had limited spots, but she wasn't.

I didn't just 'decide' to one day change my mind and not take him for NO reason. And yes, unless you have some sort of further education, accreditation, licensing, permit, or regulations to abide by then you ARE a just a babysitter!!!! And my money should not be going towards paying for OTHER children's activities!!!

And babysitters get paid for the time they babysit. It's common sense and common decency.

Euphoric !
    Have you found the rules for home daycares in ab yet? Also, if you knew all this before starting there, why did you choose her?

Also, had your child stayed there (like you agreed too) he would have gone on these trips too!

When you choose group care, your money goes to one big pot that benefits every child there.

It sounds like you may be better off finding a babysitter or nanny who can watch him before and after school until you get home from work

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If she was a babysitter like you say than why didn't you just pay per day you went? Not many babysitters get paid a month in advance

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast