Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    In ont you do not have to have a licence to be a home daycare. Whether u are licenced or not we have to abid by the same rules. Check your province rules for home daycares. Chances are you'll find out she is abiding by the rules reguadless if she is licenced or not.

Shy
    Babysitters also charge by the hour, and usually $7-10/hour in alberta. Assuming your son was in care 8 hours for those 9 days, it would have cost you the same amount anyway- or close to it. It's definitely annoying on your part that you paid for a full month and didn't use it, but like others have said it was in fact you that ended the agreement, she was still willing to fulfill her end of the bargain that you paid for. I'm saying that as a mom and a daycare provider. If I was in your shoes I would not expect my money returned.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kellybelly83 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    [QUOTE=Ad1986;78937]A sister of my fiances friend offered to watch my son for the month of August in her home as my 8 year old son was on a waiting list for the daycare and she has a son his age as well and was watching other kids during the summer. She offered to watch him for $500 for August as I was starting a new job at the beginning of August.

You were happy to have her take care of your son when you had the new job so let the money go and get busy finding a new job and move on

The issue is not my son not being able to enjoy those things as well in fact when I told her I quit she said well he should still come to this park because it's really fun then I never heard from her.

I am just really shocked at people's lack of empathy...if it were me I would've OFfERED the money back. Why should u pay me $250 to watch your kid when I didn't? I guess you would have had to be in other peoples situation to understand it fully. Knowing that she could not get in anywhere else and had no family to rely on and job turned out to be horrible I would've cut some slack. I am not a formal daycare with limited spots I am babysitting out of my home. Its informal one parent talking to another, like your neighbour. I don't care how bad I needed the money I just wouldn't feel right keeping it for something I wouldn't do. Paid in advance because that's what she requested so she could buy food for my son.

Everyone commenting about contracts is not a lawyer so thanks. I'll keep listening to the advice of my brother who is a lawyer.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad1986 View Post
    Wouldn't I be able to report her then for running a dayhome without having a permit and license?
    I had a client whose child I refused to accept when she came in for the third time in 2 months with lice!

That client reported me for "having 9 children" in the premises. Of course, the inspector came calling and was surprised to see that there were actually less children in the presmises. The inspector saw my sign-in/sign-out sheet (which was by the entry hall), and yes, I did have 9 children listed on it, but their attendance showed that I never had them at the same time, and that I never had more than 5 kids at any given time.

Why am I saying this? Your post remind me of that client.

I think it's utterly unfair to try to find fault so that you can report that dcprovider. You knew she didn't have a license or a permit, and you still decided to enroll your child with her! You are just a disgruntled client.

I am just really shocked at people's lack of empathy...if it were me I would've OFfERED the money back.
    What about her? You don't know her financial situation!
    You should've just continued taking your son there for the duration.....and should've used that time concentrating on finding a new job.
    Last edited by betsy; 08-27-2015 at 05:17 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betsy For This Useful Post:

You're surprised at the lack of sympathy???? That is because you are getting responses from daycare providers that have dealt with people like you for many years. People who, as soon as it doesn't benefit them, pull their children out of daycare and don't think twice about the commitment that they have made to the provider.
    We agree to watch children, keep a spot for them, and we rely on the income that this provides. We have bent over backwards for clients and have them backstab us in the end, because we have expected them to adhere to the contract they signed.
    If you asked her to make the commitment of caring for you child, and she accepted, but you went back on it, why would she have to refund the daycare fees? And if you thought she was such an awful person and provider, then why did you let her watch your child in the first place? It is the parents responsibility to do their homework and check up on a potential provider, ask what qualifications she has, whether she smokes, has pets, what the children do during the day....ect.

In my opinion, this should be a lessoned learned for the next time you need a provider.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

The way YOU describe her, she sounds much more like a daycare provider than an "informal babysitter" in my opinion. I ask clients to provide me with 4 weeks notice in order to terminate care. This leaves me some time to fill the position with a new child so that I don't face any lost wages. If you agreed to place your son there for one month and pulled him out after 2 weeks with no notice, that leaves the provider NO time to try and find a replacement child to take your son's spot so that she isn't losing any income. You are the selfish one for thinking she should return your money. She was still willing to hold up her end of the deal. You didn't hold up your end.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lplplp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ad1986 View Post
    I didn't just 'decide' to one day change my mind and not take him for NO reason.
    It doesn't matter what the reason was. You still were the one that didn't hold up your end of the deal!!

At the end of the day your personal problems are non of her business. This lady is running a business (offering a service) NOT a Charity. If you where to call your cable company mid month and cancel you still have to pay for the rest of the month. It doesn't matter why you are canceling. They will not return any money paid, because YOU decided to quiet your job. That is how business works.

It doesn't matter what you want to call this women: a provider or a babysitter either way she is still offering a service aka a business. You are now saying she should have been licensed, will it was YOUR responsibility to find out if she had a license before hiring her, NO MATTER what your situation is. It is NOT a providers problem if you choose to move to a city where you don't know anyone or if you decide to quite your job without having another one lined up. Everyone have problems and issues in there life, so figure out how to deal with yours without screwing over someone else because things didn't go your way.

I am sure you are currently not happy with me, because I am being so direct. Well I have dealt with people who want pitty and think others owe them, all my life and being direct and honest with them is the only way to be.

You broke your contract (verbal) now own up to it and deal with the consequence like a mature adult.

P.S. I have meet women who have up and left their homes with their children, moved away from their family and friends, just like you did. They still where responsible parents and took the time to find the right provider for their child(ren). They didn't take the first person who came along. So your whole I "didn't have the resources to find a good provider, due to my issues" don't fly at less not with me.

You said "I am just really shocked at people's lack of empathy..." We have a lot of empathy as people, but when we are dealing with clients (the parents) we need to be business women. And in business there is NO empathy. A lot of us have learned the hard way (dealing with clients like you) that we have to be like this. This doesn't mean that when we find respectful clients we don't do above and beyond to help them out.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'd genuinely be interested to hear what your brother has to say on this. Please keep us updated.

If I remember right you said you worked in the legal field too? Did it not concern you that there was no contract?

I don't think it's a lack of empathy at all...at least not on her part but perhaps yours? If providers gave money back every time a parent hit a rough patch, they'd never make any money and couldn't stay in business.

Surely you can see it was you that backed out of a verbal agreement? How is she the one to blame??

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: