Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Should I get my money back?

A sister of my fiances friend offered to watch my son for the month of August in her home as my 8 year old son was on a waiting list for the daycare and she has a son his age as well and was watching other kids during the summer. She offered to watch him for $500 for August as I was starting a new job at the beginning of August. She is not licensed, regulated or accredited in anythig pertaining to child care so essentiall just a babysitter. She did not provide a written contract. I was at my job for 2 weeks and it was absolutely horrible. It was conveyed to be a great place to work by the boss however when I started the people were absolutely miserable, they did not 'do tax forms' to claim dependants, and their accountant quit some time before and refused to come in and do the proper paycheques for payday. I have never quit a job after 2 weeks, I am a legal assistant and have worked at 2 firms in the past 6 years. I quit at the end of the second week and therefore did not take my son to her during the day. Towards the end of August I asked if I could have $250 back as he was only there for 9 days. She is refusing to give it back and said 'I am running a business and that's how it works'. Do you think I'm entitled to half of it back since he wasn't there and she isn't a formal dayhome?

You had a verbal agreement that you broke. Most providers charge by enrollment not attendance. So no I don't think she should give you back any money. FYI: anyone who proves more then 10 hours/week of care to a child is NOT a babysitter, they are by law a provider. At least in Ontario.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It sounds like she is a dcprovider not a babysitter, so I agree with blue rose.

In the future, I'd consider choosing a provider with a contract so you can avoid situations like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    It sounds like she is a dcprovider not a babysitter, so I agree with blue rose.

In the future, I'd consider choosing a provider with a contract so you can avoid situations like this.
    Wouldn't I be able to report her then for running a dayhome without having a permit and license?

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad1986 View Post
    Wouldn't I be able to report her then for running a dayhome without having a permit and license?
    This implies that you think she is running an illegal daycare.

I had a client whose child I refused to accept when she came in for the third time in 2 months with lice!

That client reported me for "having 9 children" in the premises. Of course, the inspector came calling and was surprised to see that there were actually less children in the presmises. The inspector saw my sign-in/sign-out sheet (which was by the entry hall), and yes, I did have 9 children listed on it, but their attendance showed that I never had them at the same time, and that I never had more than 5 kids at any given time.

Why am I saying this? Your post remind me of that client.

I think it's utterly unfair to try to find fault so that you can report that dcprovider. You knew she didn't have a license or a permit, and you still decided to enroll your child with her! You are just a disgruntled client.

I am just really shocked at people's lack of empathy...if it were me I would've OFfERED the money back.
    What about her? You don't know her financial situation!
    You should've just continued taking your son there for the duration.....and should've used that time concentrating on finding a new job.
    Last edited by betsy; 08-27-2015 at 05:17 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betsy For This Useful Post:

You're surprised at the lack of sympathy???? That is because you are getting responses from daycare providers that have dealt with people like you for many years. People who, as soon as it doesn't benefit them, pull their children out of daycare and don't think twice about the commitment that they have made to the provider.
    We agree to watch children, keep a spot for them, and we rely on the income that this provides. We have bent over backwards for clients and have them backstab us in the end, because we have expected them to adhere to the contract they signed.
    If you asked her to make the commitment of caring for you child, and she accepted, but you went back on it, why would she have to refund the daycare fees? And if you thought she was such an awful person and provider, then why did you let her watch your child in the first place? It is the parents responsibility to do their homework and check up on a potential provider, ask what qualifications she has, whether she smokes, has pets, what the children do during the day....ect.

In my opinion, this should be a lessoned learned for the next time you need a provider.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Seriously you are nasty piece work.

For someone in legal field your lack of research ability is dreadful.

It is legal to run an unlicensed daycare and not all provinces require a permit either. Unregistered, unlicensed day care are permitted in most provinces providing carer follows the ratios her province sets.

Big difference between unregistered/unlicensed day home and illegal one.

You showing self up by trying welch out of your fees verbally agreed to. You really showing self up wanting run and report someone when you quite happy for her to give care when it suited you.

As it happens, there no Mommy to tell tales with because in this instance, you are poorly informed.

Euphoric !
    What province are you in?

I don't know all the province rules but here in mb she would be fine and legal if she's a private daycare

Did she provide a receipt? That is mandatory in any province as she is required to claim her income.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    What province are you in?

I don't know all the province rules but here in mb she would be fine and legal if she's a private daycare

Did she provide a receipt? That is mandatory in any province as she is required to claim her income.
    But licenses must be for a reason? Otherwise no one would get them. No receipt, just my etransfer is my evidence, no contract, nothing stipulating I have to give notice to get my money back. She wasn't put out by my son not going, she already admitted to using the money to take the other kids on field trips!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast