Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Shy
    It seems that your entire argument rests on your belief that she is not a true daycare and is therefore not a business. You state it is like one neighbour helping out another, and that she does not have a limited number of spaces. Unfortunately, reality AND the province of Alberta would disagree with you. She is a daycare if she is providing care for children for more than 10 hours a week. She does NOT need to be licensed, regulated or accredited in ANY way in order to be a LEGAL PRIVATE UNLICENSED daycare. She must comply with the government rule that limits the amount if children she cares for (no more than six). It seems you have done no research before making sweeping assumptions about what she is in fact running.
    And the fact that you have received a lack of empathy? You have come on to a child care provider website, and by association insulted and diminished a huge percentage of us who run unlicensed daycares and do not have degrees associated with child care, through pure ignorance on your part.
    Last edited by ahnys; 08-27-2015 at 09:01 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ahnys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Lady, who do you think you are?

1. You find a daycare provider that is under charging. I provided care in Alberta and guess what?! My rates were $800 per month and one more shocker I WASN'T AFILIATED WITH AN AGENCY.
    2. Daycare providers can't be licensed that doesn't exist. They can choose to be affiliated with an agency but many don't do that because they will loose a big cut of their income.
    3.One thing that's amazing you talk a bunch of shit but still choose to take your kid there. Maybe don't quit your job and be a responsible parent and find another job before quitting.

No one will give you any kind of sympathy because it's parents like whos asses we kick to the curb. You wanted care for 1 month so you got it. I don't know any providers who would taken on a child just for one month. You got a great deal on childcare but remember you get what you pay for. She charges a low rate what did you think was going to be on the menu steak and lobster?

Now you want to report her bc she won't give you money back that is rightfully hers. Its not a providers problem that the parents are irresponsible.

It's like going to a restaurant and eating half your food than telling the waiter you want half your money back bc you don't want the other half. Lol insane

If you brother is in fact a lawyer than he should have told you that your only option is small claims court but I can let you know right now from experience that won't work out in your favour.

As for that babysitter crap I'm pretty sure my daughter gets paid 10 dollars per hour and you paid that women 2.5 an hour if that. Babysitters get paid at least min wage and daycare providers get paid let bc we get paid for have multiple children.
    Last edited by crayolamom; 08-27-2015 at 09:32 AM.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to crayolamom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Wow! Just wow! Totally agreeing with everyone here.

You broke the verbal contract. Too bad so sad! I too was a legal assistant and I can guarantee any good lawyer will tell you that you don't get a refund.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad1986 View Post
    Do you think I'm entitled to half of it back since he wasn't there and she isn't a formal dayhome?
    No.

You had verbal agreement that she would be available to provide care for August for a set fee. You quit your job as you are entitled to but that not mean she takes financial hit for your choices.

Who cares if it wasn't a formal day home? You were quite happy with her not being a formal day home when suited you for her to care for your child. Be thankful it was as casual as you imply, otherwise your hit would have been for more. Here, I charging $38 a day, 4 weeks notice required and paid regardless of attending. Had you changed mind here, it would cost you lot more than it did.

As legal secretary, you should have contacts to verify this for self. I'm guessing you already know that verbal agreement still hold weight, and in your carer, it make me wonder why you not insist on written contract, unless you hoping lack of would work your advantage.

Euphoric !
    Wouldn't I be able to report her then for running a dayhome without having a permit and license?
    Seriously you are nasty piece work.

For someone in legal field your lack of research ability is dreadful.

It is legal to run an unlicensed daycare and not all provinces require a permit either. Unregistered, unlicensed day care are permitted in most provinces providing carer follows the ratios her province sets.

Big difference between unregistered/unlicensed day home and illegal one.

You showing self up by trying welch out of your fees verbally agreed to. You really showing self up wanting run and report someone when you quite happy for her to give care when it suited you.

As it happens, there no Mommy to tell tales with because in this instance, you are poorly informed.

Euphoric !
    Everyone commenting about contracts is not a lawyer so thanks. I'll keep listening to the advice of my brother who is a lawyer.
    Then your brother sucks. My son lawyer and here having lunch. He shaking his head.

You changing story like the wind.

First the issue is not being refund. Then it suddenly awful menu and carer smoking. Bottom line, you had agreement, you broke it.

There no moral obligation in any business. Odd it morals that money come your way but no morals due to carer to honor deal you made.

You went for cheap care, knowing it cheap care. If you want call her babysitter instead of dayhome, that up to you but that not mean she have to refund you because now you wish you had money in your bag.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Wow Thank you Ad1986 for informing that I do not in fact run a business! I have been falsely under the illusion that I was a self-employed owner/operator of a home childcare business for nearly a decade now. Guess I can save myself a great deal of time, energy and expense at tax time. I'm sure the Canada Revenue Agency has just been confused all this time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Discoveries For This Useful Post:

Sorry sweetie, EMPATHY doesn't pay the bills.
    Why should it matter what she spent the money on? Do you have to explain to your employers where your pay check goes?
    Hell, last summer I spent 1000.00 dollars on impulse on outside toys. Or that we will have gone to Florida twice this year.
    Do you think the parents cared?
    No, they pay me to WATCH the kids, what i do with MY money is my business.

Shy
    I run a dayhome in the province of Alberta and I'm telling you she has done nothings wrong. Unless she has more than 6 children in her care not including her own children she is running a legal dayhome and is NOT a babysitter. I personally would never take on anyone without a contract but that's her choice I guess.

This completely your fault you did not do your research before hand, request a schedule, meal plan or parent guidebook. I give no refunds for unused days, it isn't her fault you quit your job.she is running a business and you agreed to follow her rules by placing your child in her care.

In Alberta being licensed simply means payments going threw an agency and random checks from the agency. If you go with a licensed dayhome you will be paying about 100 more a month and I promise you will never find respectable care in Alberta for 500 a month full time. Tell her legally she needs to give you a receipt.

Do your research from now on....

Outgoing
    Wow, there's a pile-up on the forum today....

From the OP:
    Towards the end of August I asked if I could have $250 back as he was only there for 9 days.
    So you pulled him out after 9 days but waited another week or two to ask for a refund? Hmmmm......