Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    alertadmire
    My kid's nanny was a fur fashionista so I got her a stylish fur scarf. If you don't know what exactly your nanny likes then a gift coupon is a better choice

Outgoing
    Totally changing the subject but Suzie Homemaker, any tips for renovating kitchen while you're operating daycare? This is something that we'll be dealing with in the not too distant future. Thanks.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by daycaremom9 View Post
    Totally changing the subject but Suzie Homemaker, any tips for renovating kitchen while you're operating daycare? This is something that we'll be dealing with in the not too distant future. Thanks.
    Planning, planning, planning and then plan some more.

My husband semi-retired so doing some work himself. This good in sense he familiar to children but really bad in sense only one person and he easily distracted.

We not have big house so we knew impact would happen with children so we wait for early summer when children have more outside time and not stuck inside all day.

We made sure we stock freezer with daycare meal and own suppers. This mean we were able just take out what we need and use in toaster over to cook and not have any meal prep. We borrow my son's beer fridge and put that and toaster oven in dining room so not need keep walking in and out of kitchen when reno. It also mean I not getting in way of work by needing use kitchen each day. We have a screened and covered gazebo outside so each morning we take the toaster oven, the tea kettle outside and place high up on old bookshelf where children not able reach and use outside power socket.

We took Friday before long weekend as closed day and Thursday night after close, we take out all old cabinet and counter and dug up old tile. This took until late Friday night to get empty room and clean up dust and very long day working. On Saturday my husband and son repair all walls, paint new colour on walls and then laid new tile floor. So we then have fresh paint, new floor in clean empty room by Monday morning opening.

The tile had to be not walk on for 48 hour (I think it was) so my husband then assemble cabinet for new kitchen in garage and predrill hole for hardware like hinges. And he arrange around garage in correct order so that installation be fast as possible.

On Tuesday he install all cabinet and on Wednesday we have company come in to put new counter in place and to fit new sink. My husband and son then plumbing in sink and dishwasher and then do tiling splash back. By Friday, new appliances delivered and we just about ready to slide them in.

Will say that it was lot of hard work and long day and my husband did wonderful with long day and not say swear word out loud where children would hear. I think he said lot of rude words under breath or in head. Having my son able help too make big difference. I glad we did messy work on long weekend so by time children come on Monday, we not having lot of dust. My biggest concern was paint fume and children but it good as all window open and parent warned long time ago that this happening and we buy the low odour paint too.

My biggest tip.
    1. Plan it all with time line for what need to be finished end of day, what task need achieve, in right order they need happen.
    2. Do messy/dusty work when daycare closed like long weekend.
    3. Plan to not use kitchen at all and set up mini-kitchen in different room. This mean not getting in way of reno and slowing down progress but also that children not too badly affected by change.
    4. Get things in right order or assembled before begin project if can. It lot easier than moving boxes around to find the right cabinet and doing one at time before looking for next one. We very lucky to have garage to work in for this.
    5. We decided paint whole room when empty because it faster than painting around cabinet and I would been cross if they got paint on new cabinet.

Expansive...
    good for you Suzie .....Now I want a new Kitchen

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Planning, planning, planning and then plan some more.

My husband semi-retired so doing some work himself. This good in sense he familiar to children but really bad in sense only one person and he easily distracted.

We not have big house so we knew impact would happen with children so we wait for early summer when children have more outside time and not stuck inside all day.

We made sure we stock freezer with daycare meal and own suppers. This mean we were able just take out what we need and use in toaster over to cook and not have any meal prep. We borrow my son's beer fridge and put that and toaster oven in dining room so not need keep walking in and out of kitchen when reno. It also mean I not getting in way of work by needing use kitchen each day. We have a screened and covered gazebo outside so each morning we take the toaster oven, the tea kettle outside and place high up on old bookshelf where children not able reach and use outside power socket.

We took Friday before long weekend as closed day and Thursday night after close, we take out all old cabinet and counter and dug up old tile. This took until late Friday night to get empty room and clean up dust and very long day working. On Saturday my husband and son repair all walls, paint new colour on walls and then laid new tile floor. So we then have fresh paint, new floor in clean empty room by Monday morning opening.

The tile had to be not walk on for 48 hour (I think it was) so my husband then assemble cabinet for new kitchen in garage and predrill hole for hardware like hinges. And he arrange around garage in correct order so that installation be fast as possible.

On Tuesday he install all cabinet and on Wednesday we have company come in to put new counter in place and to fit new sink. My husband and son then plumbing in sink and dishwasher and then do tiling splash back. By Friday, new appliances delivered and we just about ready to slide them in.

Will say that it was lot of hard work and long day and my husband did wonderful with long day and not say swear word out loud where children would hear. I think he said lot of rude words under breath or in head. Having my son able help too make big difference. I glad we did messy work on long weekend so by time children come on Monday, we not having lot of dust. My biggest concern was paint fume and children but it good as all window open and parent warned long time ago that this happening and we buy the low odour paint too.

My biggest tip.
    1. Plan it all with time line for what need to be finished end of day, what task need achieve, in right order they need happen.
    2. Do messy/dusty work when daycare closed like long weekend.
    3. Plan to not use kitchen at all and set up mini-kitchen in different room. This mean not getting in way of reno and slowing down progress but also that children not too badly affected by change.
    4. Get things in right order or assembled before begin project if can. It lot easier than moving boxes around to find the right cabinet and doing one at time before looking for next one. We very lucky to have garage to work in for this.
    5. We decided paint whole room when empty because it faster than painting around cabinet and I would been cross if they got paint on new cabinet.
    Great info, thanks so much. My husband and sons are all in the construction business so that will make things easier. They'll be able to do a lot of the work themselves. We'll definitely be doing it in the summer and my house is big enough that the daycare could be in another area of the house if we set up for it. We won't be doing it this summer, but soon.

A box of chocolates is a pleasant and tasty gift that will definitely please your taste and will become an excellent sign of attention. I really liked chocolate hampers ireland lately. A very original and beautiful gift. I think everyone will like this, both adults and children.