Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Runny Poops

Euphoric !

Runny Poops

I'm just wondering how many of you send home for runny poops? If so, what is your number?

I call for pickup after number 3. However, I've had a child with dirreaha for over a week now. She never has more than 3 in one day at daycare (well one day she did but it was too close to pickup time to bother...she did have enough time to do a 4th tho lol) so I haven't been calling for pickup. She's already had 2 today and I sent mom a text giving her a heads up that she will likely need to pick up today. (she usually poops after lunch for sure) Mom said that would be fine and to just let her know.

So, what's your "magic" number lol

Starting to feel at home...
    2 is my magic number. The first one could just be a sudden increase of fibre in their diet, after that I won't take a chance with the child being sick.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I'm just wondering how many of you send home for runny poops? If so, what is your number?

I call for pickup after number 3. However, I've had a child with dirreaha for over a week now. She never has more than 3 in one day at daycare (well one day she did but it was too close to pickup time to bother...she did have enough time to do a 4th tho lol) so I haven't been calling for pickup. She's already had 2 today and I sent mom a text giving her a heads up that she will likely need to pick up today. (she usually poops after lunch for sure) Mom said that would be fine and to just let her know.

So, what's your "magic" number lol
    I'm procrastinating all the things I should be getting done the week before school starts. This obviously includes silently stalking the forum, itching to comment, but trying to adjust to my new life, although being stuck in limbo leaves me all over the place. So here I am caving in over a runny poop post lol

So on to the runny poops...Does this child have any other symptoms? If not, I don't think that sending the child home for fear of "illness" or being contagious to other kids is an issue here. Sounds very much like this child has a food intolerance or is eating a high fibre, whole food diet which is maybe a little extreme. Runny poop even once a day is not normal. I'm more concerned about consistency of poop than frequency but pair them together and it is almost certainly a food intolerance if the child doesn't have any other symptoms. If the child was ill, then no doubt there would be other symptoms and the child's energy levels would be depleted and you would see this child deteriorate, given it's been going on for a while. Sending home because you don't want to clean it up is each to their own, I know you haven't said this, but I know from previous posts on here, many wouldn't deal with it. I would also imagine calling for pick up daily is less than ideal for the parents, especially given that it doesn't sound like the child is ill. I would be strongly urging this parent to take their child to the doctors for a check up, and regardless of what the doc says, keeping a food diary along with yourself to see if you can monitor any changes in diet that may be causing this, and/or see if a certain food group is possibly being given excessively. Dairy is regularly the cause of loose stools as it upsets the gut, so it may be a case of eliminating that all together for a couple weeks to see if things improve, but the first step would be to track the diet. To your original question though, 2nd loose BM and parents are called to collect should there be no known explanation for it. Child would not be able to return until 24 hours free of loose BM. As this has been going on a while, I'd be explaining that the child should be take to be medically assessed prior to returning to care. I know so many people say that for some it is normal to have loose stools, but it actually isn't. It may become the norm for some over a long period of time if this is what they experience, but that is not normal. It's loose for a reason and not "just because".

Euphoric !
    I was actually just thinking of you today BS haha. I wondered if you would come back and post every now and than....I feel honoured you chose my poopy thread!!

She has no other symptoms which is why I wasn't overly concerned about phoning for pick ups last week. I really thought she was just teething. However, it's been a week now and mickyc's dc had the poops go through last week so now I'm wondering if it is illness related. One day last week another child had a runny BM but other than that, it doesn't seem to be spreading.

It could be food related but honestly, she doesn't eat enough here for me to even bother with a food diary. She is by far the pickiest eater I have come across in the past 12 years. Today for example she ate a couple tbsp's of cantaloupe and yogurt for snack, lunch she ate a bite of celery, a bite of pickle, half a banana and for afternoon snack a few goldfish and applesauce. I know she is a picky eater at home too but I don't know what they give her really.

She's at grandma's tomorrow but if it continues much longer I will suggest they see a doctor. They have 2 older girls so they are very relaxed about things and don't get too worried about anything lol

Euphoric !
    For myself it is 3, if they get sent home they can't come back the next day. If the following day they come back and have another runny poop they get sent home after the first one as whatever is going on is still present.

We had something go through my daycare. It seemed to hit the kids differently though. 3 had more vomiting than diarrhea. My daughter got diarrhea and I ended up with the diarrhea too. I had it for 11 fricken days!!!!! I was about to go to the doctor and just like that it was over. 11 days though! It was ridiculous. It wasn't constantly though and other than that I felt totally fine. My daycare parents all seemed to get the same thing as well. My sister had it for 9 days as well. I am so glad it seems to have run its course here! Knock on wood.