Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do I say?

Starting to feel at home...

What do I say?

I have a slight dilema, next wednesday I have six parents needing child care for the day. This is the situation, I have two that are starting Jk so next week is their last week with me, and then I have two new ones starting (then I have two that are remaining) Due to the Jk staggered entry, the two that are leaving me, wont start school until thursday and friday. Anyways, of the two that are remaining, the one has been taking at least one, sometimes two days off every week for the past three months. I don't charge parents for sick days (I just explain that I would rather they just keep the child home), so this little one has been "sick" at least once a week....My thoughts are to tell that parent that I just don't have room for their child for that day. I feel like they have not been fair to me with all the sudden "sick" days (she has missed what has added up to two full weeks care, not including her scheduled holidays, so in the past three months she has missed a whole month), if they had just come to me before hand and said they wanted to take more time off this summer I would have been fine with it, instead they just wait until the morning off and text saying she is not feeling well, which doesnt give me any chance to change plans. Do i just say "Im sorry but I can not care for X next wednesday" and dont give them a reason, or should I piont out that they have not been reliable with their spot so I want to give it to parents that are?
    Ps I am planning on opening up the spot for later in the fall, but first I would like to transistion the two new ones I have. then I will tell them that I can not hold a full time spot for them for just part time hours.

I would say this.....
    Unfortunately next Wednesday I will be over numbers by one child. Seeing how you are averaging taking one day off a wk with xxxx do u mind taking this wed off to help me out?

If she says no then unfortunately I would think she has the right to the spot as she is the regular child and not a school age child leaving. One of the school age kids will have to find alternate care for that day. Just say sorry with two new ones starting I won't be able to provide care for xxxx as I will be over numbers.

Also I would SOOO be talking to the "sick" child's parents. Saying their sick days are putting you out financially. And either she needs to start coming or you will charge her regardless if she comes or not.

I charge regardless if the child is in care or not for any reasons!!

Euphoric !
    I would ask that family if they can keep the child home that day, since they have been keeping her home frequently. If they can't then one of the new kids will have to start the next day.

I would also send home a amendment to your contract (at least for this family) noting that with the drastic increase in sick days in the last few months your income has taken a big hit and you can no longer allow free sick days. Children will now have to pay when their child is home sick. Have them sign to the new terms.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBell View Post
    I have a slight dilema, next wednesday I have six parents needing child care for the day. This is the situation, I have two that are starting Jk so next week is their last week with me, and then I have two new ones starting (then I have two that are remaining) Due to the Jk staggered entry, the two that are leaving me, wont start school until thursday and friday. Anyways, of the two that are remaining, the one has been taking at least one, sometimes two days off every week for the past three months. I don't charge parents for sick days (I just explain that I would rather they just keep the child home), so this little one has been "sick" at least once a week....My thoughts are to tell that parent that I just don't have room for their child for that day. I feel like they have not been fair to me with all the sudden "sick" days (she has missed what has added up to two full weeks care, not including her scheduled holidays, so in the past three months she has missed a whole month), if they had just come to me before hand and said they wanted to take more time off this summer I would have been fine with it, instead they just wait until the morning off and text saying she is not feeling well, which doesnt give me any chance to change plans. Do i just say "Im sorry but I can not care for X next wednesday" and dont give them a reason, or should I piont out that they have not been reliable with their spot so I want to give it to parents that are?
    Ps I am planning on opening up the spot for later in the fall, but first I would like to transistion the two new ones I have. then I will tell them that I can not hold a full time spot for them for just part time hours.
    I not understanding fully.

So you limited to 5?
    You have contract to start 2 before the two they replacing leave?
    Do you not have notice with firm end date?
    Or if these new ones replacing aging out childrens, did you not know when school starting?
    I just think odd that the one parent who been in care, not knew, and not leaving, is the one be denied care on overlap day. Surely of all children, that one's place should be assured since she is the constant.
    I do understand it been big pain with her level absence especially when they not pay but if those your terms, I would be annoyed if my child's carer suddenly asked me not come one day because it inconvenience those leaving and those just coming in! Surely if they contracted for place, it should be avail to them. What if Mom is already in trouble at work having so much time off with her sick child? It seem if she been home for almost month in the last 3, then another day off might be last thing she can get.
    Likely you knew for some weeks that this day might be issue. What would you do if this child not been out sick so often?
    How were you planning on deal with over ratios when new contracts were signed before knowing leave dates?
    Since you want this client to stay until you transition two new ones, and then are opening the place up, why risk this parent get cross when care denied on Wednesday? It seem like new persons have more consideration than existing client. Mom might think that too.
    Why not ask parent of child going school on Thursday to have extra day home? It seem maybe she not give firm leave date and with her child not going school as expected, it is maybe why new child contract for start was too soon?
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 09-03-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    I not understanding fully.

So you limited to 5?
    You have contract to start 2 before the two they replacing leave?
    Do you not have notice with firm end date?
    Or if these new ones replacing aging out childrens, did you not know when school starting?
    I just think odd that the one parent who been in care, not knew, and not leaving, is the one be denied care on overlap day. Surely of all children, that one's place should be assured since she is the constant.
    I do understand it been big pain with her level absence especially when they not pay but if those your terms, I would be annoyed if my child's carer suddenly asked me not come one day because it inconvenience those leaving and those just coming in! Surely if they contracted for place, it should be avail to them. What if Mom is already in trouble at work having so much time off with her sick child? It seem if she been home for almost month in the last 3, then another day off might be last thing she can get.
    Likely you knew for some weeks that this day might be issue. What would you do if this child not been out sick so often?
    How were you planning on deal with over ratios when new contracts were signed before knowing leave dates?
    Since you want this client to stay until you transition two new ones, and then are opening the place up, why risk this parent get cross when care denied on Wednesday? It seem like new persons have more consideration than existing client. Mom might think that too.
    Why not ask parent of child going school on Thursday to have extra day home? It seem maybe she not give firm leave date and with her child not going school as expected, it is maybe why new child contract for start was too soon?

It is not uncommon for JK to have a staggered start around here. Some children do not start full time until the last week of September. So planning for a new child to start can be a bit tricky if the child leaving ends up being one of the later children to start school. I suspect this is what happened here (but with only one over lapping day, luckily).

While I agree that the newest child to start should be told there isn't room on that day...it isn't unreasonable to ask the family that has been keeping the child home frequently if they are able to keep that child home. They just can't be penalized for saying no. They shouldn't be told they can't come that day. But it is totally reasonable to ask the family to help out if they are able and willing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

I did not agree to start new clients before the Jk children were supposed to be done, but the one had a change in start date for school, and her parents (long time very good clients, asked if by chance I could take her that day) In fact I only have 4 children in my care, but yes that one day there is an overlap. I feel like like this other family is really starting to take advantage of me (they have also had two late payments this summer) I feel like if I ask them to keep her home, and they say no, it is really unfair to me as well as the other families I care for. However, I do agree with you Lee-Bee, and will follow your advice, and "ask" them. I am planning on trying to fill their spot and then terminating them after I do (I have a hard time working for someone that I feel has little respect for me). I understand why some daycare providers have sick days paid, I dont because I see it as a perk I have. in 10 years no one has taken advantage (I know there is always someone that will)and I dont feel right about taking that perk from others just because one family took advantage.
    I will just ask them if they can find alternate care for the day, and if they say no, I will tell them that a new contract will be ready for signing where they will have to pay for all scheduled days, simply no more free sick days. For the record, the child was not sick, the mother let it slip that her work has been slow so she got a pass to
    an amusement park and has taken her there a few times. Like I said, tell me that at the begining of summer, communicate and I can work with it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MsBell For This Useful Post:

I thought I would just mention, the family that had a change in school start date have been with me for almost six years, have been wonderful clients, and are asking if I will have room. the family with the all the sick days have been with me just over a year. I maybe misundertstood you suzy, but I think you are suggesting that I am not being loyal to my clients that are staying, when that is not the case. I think that giving them the day off (when they are most likely going to take a day anyway) to help out other clients, is being loyal and thoughtful.

Euphoric !
    No, not what I meaning. I just couldn't understand how it happened and thought maybe unfair to ask one person who neither leaving or just starting, not not come. We not have staggered start dates here so all go back, same day. It sometime little late being announced when first day school is but it same for all student.

Euphoric !
    I would likely ask all parents if there's a chance they can take that day off (with no charge of course) but explain it's totally okay if they can't.

Euphoric !
    ^^ I think that good solution.