Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Low ratio daycare

I have reopened my daycare and I am advertising it as a low ratio daycare. I want to care for two toddlers only. When I did daycare before I had toddlers and B/A kids. I advertise as low ratio but when the parents come to interview they seem put off by the fact that I am only intending to care for so few children. I have a daughter but she is in college so I don't have young children of my own. I have been a nanny for the past 5 years and I like the idea of giving lots of attention and care to one or two children.
    Do you think there is a need for low ratio or will I have to adjust and try and take in up to 5 children (if I can even fill that many spots with the new Bill).

Euphoric !
    I think you need to specify what low ratio is in your ads. A LOT of home daycares use this as a selling feature...but they mean the full 5 kids. So in your advertising title put 1:2 or 1:3 as your ratio so you only find the families that want this.

It may or may not be a selling feature for families. Some love it...most want closer to 5 kids so they are in a more social setting. It will likely take more time to fill the spots but save yourself the time of having them arrive for an interview thinking you'll have 5 kids.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Maybe regional prejudice?

Lot SAHM here say "low ratio" because they think it mean not real dayhome and cash, no receipt. Here, low ratio is connected to babysitter so parent expect cheap.

Could also be concern that if only three children, if one or two leave, their child not have any friend to play with?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think given time, you will find the right families. I find lots of parents choose hdc due to low ratio (here it's only 4 for private) and they want that smaller, family like setting for their child. Some parents choose hdc due to shortage of centre spots so low ratio won't make a difference to them. During interviews, you could ask why they chose to look at hdc's and given their answer you should be able to tell if they're in it for the long haul or if they're just using you until a centre spot cones available

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

A lot of families will love the low ratio. It's like getting the one on one like with a nanny but for a home daycare price. In your ad when u say low ratio clarify why. My home daycare focuses on low ratio, never more then two or three children. That way there is more love and attention to the children, etc. something like that

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thanks. I know of another 2 home daycares that only care for 2 children each, but they live in a section of Ottawa where there is a higher demand for care. When I did daycare before, as previously stated, I had all ages. My last year though I took care of 3 toddlers only and families seemed to be OK with it but I find this time around the daycare environment seems to have changed, Bill 10, $15.00 daycare, parents seems to want more.

Shy
    Thanks. Parents are willing to pay $16.00 hour to have someone watch their one child in their home(no housework involved) as long as you take the child to playgroups, etc. for socialization. Of course the trade-off for the parent is the child stays in their home environment. I guess that individual attention is what I was aiming for in my daycare. It would probably help if I had younger children of my own as the parents would see that as at least there is someone to be with their child.

U just have to find the right families that will love the low ratio care. Right now I have four sometimes five three days a wk and always just two on Thursdays and Fridays. My parents love it that those two babies get more of my attention when the other three aren't around but they also love that some days the other kids are there to play with. Make sure u do social activities too like playgroups and play dates with other low ratio daycares. Parents will love it. Good luck .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Shy
    There is a playgroup that I can attend 3 mornings a week as well as library storytime one morning a week. The local park is popular with home daycares too. I plan to get out of the home as much as possible.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ottawaroses For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    That's the kind of thing that the parents would love to hear or see in your ad,and they come flocking to your door and also that you have LOTS of experience - don't worry it takes time to get the first few children but it will happen

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Van For This Useful Post: