Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bunk beds

Euphoric !

Bunk beds

My girls will be moving into the same room together after Christmas. I have started looking into bunk beds on Kijiji and noticed that a lot of people seem to sell "never really slept in" or "used for only "6 mos" bunk beds. What is your experience with bunk beds and your kids? Will they grow tired of them shortly after getting them? At what age did you find they out grew them? They currently both have their own beds but I think it will be a bit tight with two twins in there. They have slept in bunk beds twice before when we stayed in a hotel with bunks. They loved them then.

Euphoric !
    How old are your girls?

If you don't have space for two beds then you need bunk beds whether or not other kids used theirs! I know a good number of families get bunk beds for their one child with the plan of using the 2nd bed for sleep overs etc so maybe that is what is some ads meant by them not being used much?

Like any bed it'll get old quick but they still need a place to sleep. You can get creative later and allow them to make their own bunk their special place (use curtains etc to make a private get away for them to separate top and bottom bunk. Let them choose their own bedding themes etc.

My brothers had bunk beds growing up and I was always envious. I remember trying to convince my brother he should switch rooms and share with me so I could have a bunk too. He never switched, but I don't recall them having complaints about the bunks. I'm sure they didn't view them as the coolest thing ever after they had them awhile but it was a place to sleep.

I would make sure they are solid so the bed isn't squeaking all night with a child on top moving. Also, I would look at bunk beds that can be separated into 2 single beds if you think you will separate them at some point.

Euphoric !
    i had bunks once and hated them...bought them 25 years ago ....as a parent it was the biggest pain in the ass to change the sheets and or make the bed and i found when i was cleaning up everything just got thrown to the top bunk .....however my bunks were solid wood and they came apart to make to singles and i still currently use them for my youngest kids .....

Bunks are great. Fun and great on space saving. But soooooo HARD to make the top bunk. Such a pain to get up there

Euphoric !
    I had bunk beds with my sister. We hated them lol. Always fought over who had to have the top (neither one of us liked the ladder, to be fair I think they might make them easier on the feet now?) and like people have said, hard to make beds. (We had to make our Own as we were older)

From what I've seen with friends and family who bought them, they don't last long. In concept, they're great, in reality a pia lol. But like someone said, sometimes they're just a necessity!! We had to have bunks due to space in that house (thank goodness we moved shortly and everyone got their own room lol)

Starting to feel at home...
    As a mom with 3 kids under 4 who have always shared a bedroom, I highly recommend bunk beds! They are solid wood and come apart into two twins just to switch things up. The room is JUST big enough for the twin beds, my baby's crib and a couple dressers. We also put a dresser in the closet and raised the hanging bar to make room. They are currently stacked in a bunk bed format just to have more room in their bedroom. I don't have much of a problem getting up there to change the sheets but my husband couldn't if he tried lol. We bought them used on kijiji for $150 including the mattresses. The only concern I had is when the daycare kids wanted to attempt to climb the ladder. So the kids bedroom is always off limits and is only used for sleeping in. No toys or anything allowed in the bedroom.

Euphoric !
    You've all given me some things to think about. We could fit both beds in the room, this doesn't allow a whole lot of extra room for toys, dressers etc. I know they would love them at first but I worry also that the novelty would wear off (not that that makes a difference to them having them...just that they are not considered special anymore.) I hadn't thought about the changing of the sheets being an issue...good to know.

I would also have to store their current beds in the garage. My eldest sleeps in my old bed (solid oak poster bed my parents had made for me when I was little by a Mennonite woodworker, not getting rid of that!) Maybe I might try and see what the room looks like with the two beds first.

My girls are 3.5 and 5.5 yrs old.

Euphoric !
    Is one double bed out of the question .... Are they able to sleep together? One dbl would allow for more room then two twins

Euphoric !
    My two girls shared a room from age 2 to 13. What we got were the mates beds with the drawers under them to use instead of dressers so all that was in the room was literally the two beds.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

You can also get the mates bed with the trundle under it. Pull out the 2nd bed at night push it back under the mates bed during the day