Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Transitioning Blues

first week with new little girl. Oh I hate transitioning!! Lol. Its been over a year and a half since I transitioned one in and I forgot how much work it is! I met with mom 6 months ago so we didn't know where she would be developmentally at that point. Well she still isn't walking (14 months old). Mom also was still giving 2 naps at home but I only do 1. She seems to be handling that switch pretty good. Then there is the eating!!! Ugh....she eats mainly soft/liquid type things at home and mom feeds her. My last years transition was terrible in the eating part too so here we go again!

I will say she isn't screaming too much during the day and naps good so I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just hoping it's not too long of a process! I am just a bit tired and cranky today!!! Thanks for letting me vent.

Thats ok, I'm grumpy today too. I think that it has something to do with the weather

Outgoing
    I have a new one too. Two half days last week, full time this week. He eats fine, and doesn't scream all day (maybe just half the day, lol). My problem is napping. He has such a loud scream, and he's really stubborn. He fell asleep with me while having his bottle, and immediately woke up when I stood up to take him to bed. It's been a long time since I've had a kid with a napping problem.

Euphoric !
    Well luckily mine naps well and has no bottles as mom breastfeeds. I have her in a different room from the others as she usually wakes a bit earlier than the others. Yesterday she played in there for about 15 minutes after she woke up.

Outgoing
    Well, he's the first one up, and definitely still tired. I hope he figures out how to sleep sooner rather than later.

I think transitioning is the hardest part of this job. But it has to get better right? It's very rare that it does not take, and you have to terminate. I've been working on one little girl for the past four months. She's coming around but I had to give the parents the ultimatum for them to be on the same page as me. But when it does happen, and the child finally feels at home, it makes it all worth the while

I hope things get better for you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elly For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sorry, you're having a bad day! I don't know if you have a conversation with parents prior to starting but I encourage them to get their child on one nap and eating real foods before they start. I explain that there will be a lot of changes and emphasize that this will help their child adjust better to care. Might be something to think about when going forward.

I have a new one this week too! He is doing really well, not crying and sleeping well however he is a bit of a bully. He splashes the other kids at the water table (like literally throws cups of water in their face), rams shopping carts into other kids. We will see how it goes. He isn't quite 2 yet but when I mentioned it to dad he discounted a lot of it that "he thinks he's just playing with them." I said that is fine, but it is not OK and we are going to curb it now. I already see a difference with small interventions e.g. taking away his cup at the water table, taking away the shopping cart, leaving him in his highchair after lunch until its his turn to get his diaper changed so he is supervised etc. Hopefully things get better.

Euphoric !
    I have a sheet that I give out to the parents saying what they can do at home before daycare starts to help with the transition. Of course all parents are on board but getting them to actually do it is another story. Lol

Mom did mention how she fed her breakfast first and then breastfed her. She said it made a huge difference. I know mom is trying. She ate pretty good for me yesterday so it will come.