Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drop-in daycare

Outgoing

Drop-in daycare

Hi there Ladies,

Now that my 2 oldest are in school and with the new BILL 10, my days are left pretty ... well pretty slow and boring at times. I have my own 11 month old an 18 month old and a 3 yo. I could technically take on one more child because my eldest is over 6. However, I really wish to take on my god son in the spring and I don't want to terminated anyone to make room for him. So I was thinking maybe some drop in care would help fill my days a bit more here and there but would also leave me some freedom to go out and about. However I am hesitating to do so because I really don't want to be accepting kids in here from just any families and get into all sorts of problems. I've been blessed with the families that I have worked with. So I was wondering if it's possible to line up and interview families that require drop in and keep a contract with only a few of them ? What would the contract look like ? I'm expecting to apply all the rules to some extension (hours drop off and everything ) but how do you manage paid vacations or termination of care, do they need to give notice ? Or do you simply charge more for a day of service and waive it. Do they give you a deposit and once the need for drop in ends you give the deposit back ? Do you even find enough families looking for daycare here and there ? Do you require a 24/48 hour notice of need of care ? I'm just a little sacred I think with the logistics of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Shy
    i would think that if it's just drop in care then maybe your best bet instead of actual contract ( which would normally include days,times settled upon by both) would be to have them sign form stating they have received your rules and policies, get form filled out with children's info, contact info, etc, and implement times available, how much notice etc.

If you know any other providers in your area maybe you could have them use you as a back up for sick days,times off etc. Or let other parents in your child's school know you're available for drop in.

For me, I need the regular daily routine ( drop on would drive me crazy!Lol), but good luck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mom of three For This Useful Post:

I have always kept drop in kids off contract. They sign a brief page stating all my rules, policies etc. but either then that I don't do a contract with them. They call if they need to come and if I have space then they come. Payment is due at drop off and I don't take the child if they show up with out the day's pay. They don't pay any of my holidays or stats just the days they want to come. I charge 5$ more for drop in care then my reg daily rate. I've never had any problems.

Outgoing
    That's the thing. I don't want people just coming in and out whenever and mess up my daily routine. That's why I still want to try to find a few regular families that will give me a heads up. Juts not sure how to go about it.

Euphoric !
    I've had quite a few parents ask if I offer this as they are either just wanting a day or two here and there for socializing or to get a break themselves if they're sahp's, or as a backup provider if they're regular dcp is sick/on holidays. I've always said no as I'm usually full but with my part timer I did have mon/tues available (however, now only Tuesday is available) and I've considered offering drop in care but for right now, I enjoy the "quieter" day more than the extra money lol. I also don't know if I'd like it as I REALLY dislike when parents treat their regular dc as a drop in centre haha. However, going in with that expectation might be different!

I think I'd ask that the child is between 2-4 as I just can't see most younger kids being able to do drop in care very easily. It could just end up like a day of transitioning and that's no fun for anyone!! I wouldn't worry about vacation, withdrawal notice etc. I would only charge them my daily fee on the days they come and that would need to be paid that morning at drop off. I'd send them my contract and still have them sign my permission forms and child info sheet.

I'd either interview a few parents and have their contact info on hand and give them a call on days I'm available or I would advertise on my daycare fb page and go from there.

Good luck!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    That's the thing. I don't want people just coming in and out whenever and mess up my daily routine. That's why I still want to try to find a few regular families that will give me a heads up. Juts not sure how to go about it.
    I think you need to find a few families that just want 1 or 2 days a week. Drop-in care is drop-in care. It is unpredictable. Target your advertising to stay at home moms that want a day to themselves or a day of socializing for their child. Offer up a full or half day that is the same each week. This way you know who is coming when, you get into a routine with that child and you don't lose your regular structure.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks babydom !!

Outgoing
    I'm okay if I can find people who give me a 24/48 hour heads up. I just don't know if there is any clients for the age group of 2 to 4 since I already have 2 full time babies.