Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Liability Insurance - Winnipeg

So I've been searching, and phoning around all over, looking for liability insurance with no luck so far. I'm hoping someone from Winnipeg, or MB at least, can suggest a good company/broker to try. I don't have or want a home/contents policy, just liability coverage for myself (for an unlicensed home daycare).
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Euphoric !
    Just curious as to why you don't have a home/contents policy? What are the advantages to this ?

For me, we just added the daycare liability stuff onto our existing insurance. I really have no idea how much extra it was but I remember thinking it's cheap.

Outgoing
    I'm not great with insurance, what does liability for yourself cover? I am in Manitoba, so I could tell you if my insurance covers that or not. I'm maybe just having a Friday morning brain fog. Lol

Euphoric !
    I would find it unlikely that you can get insurance just for the home daycare. Typically you just add the insurance ryder on to your home insurance. Without the home insurance then I don't know that there would be an option to have your home daycare covered.

Also find it highly strange to not insure your home/contents.

Outgoing
    I pay for my daycare insurance separate from my home insurance, and it renews at a different time, so I assume it's separate from my home insurance. But i do have content insurance, I'm not sure I could do it without content insurance.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Superfun, may I ask which company/broker you went with?

If absolutely necessary I guess I will have to take a contents policy as well, but I was able to obtain one quote so far for just the liability on its own (in the event that I am sued by a parent, say if a child hurts his/herself while in my care. Coverage was upto 1 mil) I just wanted to try some other places before I decide who to go with.

Outgoing
    Ok, it's nap time, and I've got my renewal info handy. I have 3 million in comprehensive general liability, contents up to $5000, income replacement (should an interruption of business occur, as a result of a peril covered by this policy).
    I used Western Financial Group (I doubt they are in Winnipeg though) as a broker, and the insurance is through Aviva Insurance Company. They mention that Aviva does not cover abuse liability, including defense costs for false allegations. They say they have another insurance company that does include that.
    Last edited by superfun; 09-11-2015 at 03:25 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

I'm pretty sure I've seen something relating to Western here in Winnipeg, but I'm not 100%. I will definitely check it out though.
    Thank you so much for the help!