Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Unhappy We've Got a Runner!

I work at a licensed daycare and we just opened a junior preschool room. I have a child in my class who loves doors and likes to take off whenever he can. I'm the only one in my room with eight children at the most. I have a small room and I'm trying to fill the room with activities to keep them occupied. My supervisor already spoke to the mom but she doesn't want us speaking to the parents anymore about it. I try to be firm with him and sit him on a time out. All of these children have just transitioned over to this room from the toddler room so it's all new to them and it's only been one week. I'm thinking of having him sit on a time out for a bit whenever he does it. Redirecting him doesn't seem to work at the time being. I have more things in my room this week so I'l try and use playdough and stuff to keep him busy when he becomes bored.

Time outs are good. At that age he needs to learn that that is not ok especially for safety. You can also put on a kid safety thing on the door knob. Although some kids know how to open those too

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Yeah, I talked to my supervisor and he seems to be running out in the morning in the big classroom before I come to take him to the regular preschool classroom. He didn't do it as much in the toddler room but there was only five children to a teacher so it was easier to supervise. We have the type of door knob that is long so I don't know if you could get a child security knob for that.

Yes you can. We have them and they are harder for kids to crack open . Found in the same isle at any store that sells baby proofing items. Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    What about putting a gate around the door that has a safety latched section like the ones that go around a fireplace. Then any adult can go in and out the door and through the gate into the play area but the children can't go out - at least in theory. I agree that teaching him no is the best but there is always going to be the risk of him trying to escape especially if it becomes something he does when he doesn't get his own way. The idea of making it safe in the room for everyone seems like a better idea because it also means you can give the other children the attention they need without only have paying attention because part of you has to be constantly on the one child.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_hugs View Post
    My supervisor already spoke to the mom but she doesn't want us speaking to the parents anymore about it.
    Is it just me? Or is there someting odd about this? The supervisor doesn't want you to communicate with the parents? About a concerning and potentially hazardous behaviour? I understand that the parents can't actually do anything about it, they aren't there, so the behaviour has to be dealt with at daycare, but you aren't allowed to talk to the parents? Not even to tell them what you're doing about it? I really hope I'm missing some key piece of information here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    Is it just me? Or is there someting odd about this? The supervisor doesn't want you to communicate with the parents? About a concerning and potentially hazardous behaviour? I understand that the parents can't actually do anything about it, they aren't there, so the behaviour has to be dealt with at daycare, but you aren't allowed to talk to the parents? Not even to tell them what you're doing about it? I really hope I'm missing some key piece of information here.
    My thoughts were that the supervisor is worried the parents will feel they do not have control of the situation. Perhaps she spoke to the parents who expressed concern with the fact their child was able to run off, out of the room and since they haven't been able to tackle the problem she doesn't want to bring it up again.

The problem with this behavior when there is only one adult is in the room is that that adult needs to decide between the child that has run off or the group of children that remain. Not a position a daycare teacher should be put in.

As noted above the pull down handles do have locks available. A gate would be a second possibility. But, ultimately with 8 children in your care you will need a second set of hands to end this behavior. The child needs to be shadowed and stopped every time he attempts to run, with a consequence. This is really hard to do on your own!

How old is the child?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The parents also need to work with the child to teach him to stay beside them when out and about and not let him bounce off ahead or drift over to whatever interests him too. Too often the behaviours we need to correct at daycare were actually taught to the child by what the parents did or didn't do.

I gather the supervisor wants the issue hushed and dealt with internally and I can see where the reputation of the facility comes into play here. Not upsetting the parents by complaining again about any behaviour is likely the facility rule. You tell the supervisor things are not changing and they deal with the parents.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of lame. She likes to be in control of a lot of things that the teacher should be doing. I think she doesn't want to make it seem like he keeps running down the hallways and around the building which will worry the parents even more. When she talked to them she said that he was fast and they should be implementing the same rules at home.

Shy
    I believe the child is around 2 1/2.