Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Walking to the Playground

I have my own junior preschool class in a licensed daycare. It's a new room that just opened so all of these children just transferred from the toddler room or are brand new. I'm the only teacher in the room of a class of eight children. I'm having a bit of trouble taking out all of the children by myself as we have to walk through the building, around the side, across the parking lot and over the field. I have a couple of kids who I know I have to hold hands with and I try to get the others to all hold hands with each other as well but now and then, one will get goofy and run ahead which sparks up my anxiety as I try to grab them before they run onto the parking lot. I try to get the more hyper ones to walk with the calmer ones which seems to work but now and then a slip up will occur and the chain will break. I usually try and get someone to come out with me but that is not always possible. Any tips?

Outgoing
    You could try a walking rope with with enough handles for all of the children. Most daycare supply companies sell them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Check the DNA. When I worked in daycare centres I was not allowed to leave the site with more than 5 children on my own. you NEED a second adult to leave the premises. This was when I ran the school-age program. Preschool program might actually have a lower number to leave on your own. I am certain leaving with 8 children is a HUGE rule breaker...like they will fine your daycare big time.

Your daycare owner/manager should have made this clear to you!!!

Euphoric !
    It must be different in each province. I used to work in centres and while all our rooms USUALLY had 2 staff, there were times when it was just one. Most of us stayed in or just went to one of our 2 side playgrounds as it was only a short walk outside of protected walls and gates lol. There was one staff who would take her kids on walks, they were 4-5 yo though and listened very very well to her. When I used to do the school age centre I'd have 8-10 kids and walk about 5 blocks with them to the centre. For us, it was one of those things that was legally allowed but not in "best practices". Best practices came into effect shortly before I left so I don't remember all those rules as well.

As for the OP, I agree with the walking rope. Have the "runners" close to you and if possible, hanging onto your hand. It will take time, patience, firmness, consistency and many reminders but you will get there!! This is why I think walking with small ones is so important from an early age, even if it's just a block or 2 in the beginning until they learn the rules. They can't just be expected to know how to "walk nice" if they go directly from stroller to walking.

Good luck!!

Euphoric !
    5LM: I didn't consider she may be in a different province, or that perhaps my old daycare centre was following best practices and not the DNA itself.

One thing I found useful in the schools with the children that are unpredictable, spazzy and just don't listen is to give them a big responsibility. If you are going out to play...you have too much to carry can he hold the attendance chart, very carefully as we need it for ALL the parents to sign later. It gives them a focus and sometimes they actually focus on it! But, you need to keep switching it up because after so many times the attendance chart is old...but maybe the daycare keys need to be held (I suggest a fake set of keys lol).

Point being to get them focussed on doing something helpful and praising them for doing it. With the hope that in time they have succeeded so many times at helping, they made it to the playground without any negative interactions...and eventually they just start succeeding on their own.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post: