Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

What to look for

I am closing for a maternity leave and I am doing up a sheet for parents with what to look for when choosing a provider. I don't mean the obvious things e.g CPR but the things WE see daily with other providers or have experienced ourselves.

Some things I have are: awareness of Bill 10 and what it is, whether the provider takes time off as burnout is high, how long they've been in operation, other adults in the home, whether they go on outings, if food is unprocessed etc. I know some of these things are highly personal opinions but I was asked by a parent what I would look for. Also, I had one parent mention a home daycare that has no kids and could take everyone once I close. This provider has been advertising for months and has no kids. I get 5-8 inquiries a week,...how is this possible or even not a red flag? I guess the bottom line is, I care about these kids and don't want them to go to a crummy provider and I am also looking out for myself as I don't want anyone "jumping ship" before I close.

Euphoric !
    I don't know about this. I mean, write up a list for the mom that asked for it but you need to keep in mind that while you have worked with these families and have grown attached to their kids your job is done. It is up to the families to find the care that they want. I think a too detailed list just puts you in the position to own some of their struggles in finding new care.

It is also so subjective, some daycare providers needs time off, some need none. Some amazing providers on here have taken zero personal days in years of business others have taken 10 a year...it does not impact their quality of service. By adding it to the list you put the parents in the position to potentially turn away a great provider.

Some parents could care less about processed foods for others it is a deal breaker. But they need to come up with that on their own not have it on a list. As well, there are amazing providers out there that serve processed foods they just have different priorities when it comes to diet. I don't believe it is really something you can dictate.

Friends asked me for a list a few weeks back. All I put on it was things to be mindful of. If they want their 1yr old to have 2 naps they need to inquire about this as many providers only do 1 nap. What are their thoughts on tv. Are they comfortable with the provider going on outings (by foot, by bus, by car). Are they ok with pets in the house. Do they have food preferences.

I gave a list of topics to consider, to know their preferences in before going to an interview. What were their deal breakers and what could they be comfortable letting go on for the right provider.

By giving this list they were able to decide what they were looking for before choosing (if they insist on 2naps they can't expect a 1nap daycare to change) and also let them know they will have to pick and choose their preferences as it will be very hard to find a daycare that is completely in line with your wish list. So, maybe you forgo the tv free environment and accept one that does 30min a day, but you get the organic meals and 2nd nap.

The list still left the onus on the parents to decide what they wanted and to choose the care that was right for them it just helped guide them in figuring all that out.

As great as it would be to give a detailed complicated list so the families don't find good care and stay till the end (I know this isn't exactly your intent)...I can't help but see you will be greatly stressed with families that are stressed that they have no care and you are closing tomorrow! These families will end up leaving when they find a place that is best for them. Help guide them to know what is best for them but don't pre-chose the daycare for them!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would say :-

1. If mixed age, find out how provider get to bus stop with littles to meet school age child. If car - check insured, if wagon/walk, does that mean little cold in winter at stop.

2. Pets mixing with children. Might bother some not other.

3. Food quality.

4. Insurance

5. CPR/First aid current

6. Police check all adult in house including vulnerable sector check

7. Make sure see sleep area

8. Be wary of provider who hold place for many week until start date with no retaining fee or charge. Why would they feel losing income better than no fill place sooner?

9. Inform parent of reg in your area. Lot go over number and parent not always knowing.

10. Speak to reference. No matter how nice carer seem.

11. Consider some new dayhomes might be SAHM who new to parenting and not have experience with group care and limited own experience. Also consider if she going back to own job after mat leave.

12. Make sure contact clear about when care available, what happen if late paying, what happen if late pick up.

13. Find out if carer have lot friend drop in during work hour. Might be issue for some, not other.

14. Sickness policy. Sick child excluded or not?

15. If carer has cover for own appointment, find out who provide cover.

go to ccprn.ca there is a very nice list of questions for parents to ask providers and themselves. But the most important thing for a parent to do is go with their gut. If something feels off there is a good chance there is.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Personally I think it's up to them to figure things out for themselves. They have been in your daycare so they are not new to the whole process. I would even bother. I know you are trying to be helpful but I think it's a waste of your time.

Euphoric !
    I think your intentions are coming from a good place and you mean well but I agree with the above. I'd feel a bit responsible if a family chose a hdc after insight from me and it turned out awful. (However, saying that, I will and do recommend 3 local providers who I trust and feel comfortable passing on their name (Mickyc and superfun are 2 of them lol) but there are others I know who do dc but I don't pass on their name as I'm not 100% confident in them)

I think it's totally okay to help guide them into figuring out what questions they should ask and to be on the lookout for red flags but I think the questions and red flags need to be things that are specific to them. For example, tv on during pick up time might be a red flag to one family but not another. Asking about the menu might be important to some but not others.

When I'm helping a family (usually friends) look for daycare I encourage them to ask a list of questions about the dcprovider and her program and to come up with their own deal breakers and ask about those but I don't suggest deal breakers to them as it's like you said, personal opinion.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 09-15-2015 at 01:13 PM.