Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Getting notice right before a stat holiday

I got notice today from one family. Totally blindsided, didn't see it coming. She gave me 3 weeks notice like my contract says. I look at the calendar and it is thanksgiving weekend so now I am going to be out the stat Monday pay. This isn't the first time this has happened and it annoys me.

So now I am updating my contract before I start advertising. Is there something I can put in my contract to state that they need to pay for the stat. Or is it just part of the job?

its part of the job. If you worked in any other job wants you leave you don't get paid for states that come after your last day of work. Its the same with us, clients leave before a stat we don't get paid for it.

but

vacation time is different. my contract states:
    If you terminate within Five (5) weeks (less than 25 business days) before, or during the providers scheduled days off (not including Stat.’s), you forfeit your deposit. The deposit will go towards other expenses. You will still need to pay the enrollment fee for your child`s last two weeks of care. The enrollment fee must be paid in full by 5:00pm on the Thursday before your child`s last two weeks of care.

Euphoric !
    Thanks. that is what I thought but it just drives me nuts when this happens and I can't fill the spot until after the next day and loose the paid stat day.

I don't get paid holidays and I use the deposit for the first 2 weeks notice. She paid me 2 weeks today and I will get paid 1 week next payday for their final week of care. I am not out anything else other than the stat day that I can't expect the next people to pay for.

Outgoing
    When I interview someone for a spot...it generally is a few months before they need it (ie, after mat leave).or if it isn't...I still take a 2 week deposit. They are told upfront that this deposit is NOT REFUNDABLE and DOES NOT GO TOWARDS ANY DAYCARE...it is to hold the spot for the few months..it is to secure spots for serious people.

Outgoing
    Just a thought, but why can't you tell the new family that they have to pay for it? The space is available as soon as the old family leaves, it's just bad timing that their first day is a stat. It's still their space, and they'd have to pay for any other stats, why give them a free pass on this one?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I was thinking what superfun said too.

I likely wouldn't want to start a new relationship doing this (I'd just take the loss, it's only one day) but I can also see why a dcprovider would do this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I will just take the loss. It isn't a big deal just more annoying that it happens more often than I would like.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't think this has ever happened to me but I can see why it would be annoying!

Euphoric !
    I changed my contract for my new teacher I signed on. I know charge for the July 1st stat. The replacement for the summer spot always started on July 2nd (or later if I took an extra day or so) and I was always out the July 1st stat. Not this year. My new teacher has to pay it and then the summer child starts the first day of July I am open.

For some reason it happens to me often.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Absolutely....I agree with superfun. I would MOST DEFINATELY charge for the Monday...it's their first week but not your fault it's a stat! If you have in your contract that you are paid for ALL STATS...