Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Idea Share to save $?

It seems every year, about this time I have such good intentions of getting organized. I create a beautiful budget, pretty menus and have such great plans. And then it all goes downhill....
    Here are my day to day things I do manage to do, however

My tips (please add your own!):
    -I keep an art table loaded with rolls of art paper (& markers/crayons) available at all times. When it's all used up, I roll it back up and cut pieces off as needed to wrap presents for all the gifts we give.
    -I buy all daycare toys used (& get a receipt even at yard sales so I can still claim them)
    -I use washcloths instead of wipes for meal clean up and use toilet paper instead of Kleenex
    -I've created a 'share your deal' (only deals we find, not a selling page) page on Facebook for my friends; which has exploded!
    -I save 30% of my pay, every payday (20% to taxes and 10% to the gift and vacay fund).
    -I am constantly on the lookout for really good Melissa and Doug deals. When I find one I load up the present bin and stock up ahead for birthdays etc.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    Good ideas!
    There's a Samko and Miko toy sale that comes here every November. I buy pretty much all my Christmas gifts for kids there, and get a few extra things (like barbies for $5) for birthday parties for the whole year.
    I use washcloths too, and towels to clean up messes
    I'm on a freecycle facebook group, and if toys are in good shape I'll take them and just clean them up with lysol wipes. Also, check the free section of kijiji often.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucestermom View Post
    Also, check the free section of kijiji often.
    Oh gosh; there's a free section on Kijiji...how did I not know this?

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    Oh gosh; there's a free section on Kijiji...how did I not know this?
    There sure is! While on maternity leave, before the daycare opened I stalked it daily.

I received a TON of free items including:
    2 large outdoor play houses
    2 plastic picnic tables,
    3 kids lawn chairs
    3 kids stools
    small kids slide
    also various indoor toys
    and a TON, and I mean a TON of little pet shop houses and animals (over 100 animals) from one family whose daughter no longer wanted them!!

People give away the most random of items. The catch to getting it is you need to be FIRST to respond and need to pick it up ASAP. So the key was checking the free section almost hourly! I haven't gotten anything free since opening the daycare...not enough time to check frequently and not enough time to just run out and pick the stuff up. But, I NEEDED that free stuff then to have enough stuff to open...now I can just wait to buy stuff used.

Shy
    Wait for sale days at stores like Scholar's Choice, Mastermind, Toys R Us, Michael's and Walmart. Recycle a lot of your garbage such as boxes for art supplies. Go on Kijiji or certain Facebook pages and see if there are any free or cheap items for sale. Ask your friends and family if they have any children's books in fairly good condition or toys that they're planning to get rid of. Go to garage sales to get cheap children's things.

Expansive...
    Usually there is a 40% off or 50% off coupon on the weekly Micheal's Flyer so I go in and buy just ONE item like a Huge bottle of Tacky Glue, or a Melissa and Doug toy or a specific stamp I need.

Also....I try to check out the clearance toy section at the grocery store and Walmart and pick things up during the year to give away at Christmas etc.

I'm starting to request books from the library rather than go out and buy them.

Admittedly I have a long way to go - can easily spend a lot on craft stuff and toys and impulse buy though Now that Dollarama is $3 for a lot of items - I often walk out with a $50 receipt and only a bag full of craft items. That's tough. I try to use Dollartree more where items are actually $1.25

Oh and I also started limiting seconds/thirds at meals. Kids would ask for seconds and thirds and it really adds up. I try to offer seconds but once it's gone - I don't make more, wash more fruit etc beyond what I had planned at the beginning of the meal. Kids asking for thirds of strawberries for example or organic yogurt (Which is now around $5 for a tub) is getting crazy expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    ... started limiting seconds/thirds at meals. Kids would ask for seconds and thirds and it really adds up. I try to offer seconds but once it's gone - I don't make more, wash more fruit etc beyond what I had planned at the beginning of the meal. Kids asking for thirds of strawberries for example or organic yogurt (Which is now around $5 for a tub) is getting crazy expensive.
    I completely agree! I do one serving only at snack times....I found they would fill up on the snack stuff and not eat lunch (& likely not much supper at home).

~Anonymous~

Forgot to add that our local Early Years Centre has lots of free resources for Childcare Providers. Die cutters, learning materials, courses...an extensive toy & resource lending library that you choose a kit online to borrow and they deliver it right to your home! The favourite around here are the huge jumbo books that come with props!

~Anonymous~

For the ones that have a a fix mortgage, interest rates are currently supper low. If you change your mortgage to the current interest your mortgage payment gets reduced (even after paying the penalty for switching to a lower interest). My mortgage broker has secured for us 2.55% for 5 years from our current 4.05%. You could also keep paying the same and reduce the amortization and be mortgage free a bit faster.