Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Question: bus stop too far

I start caring for one family end of next month (I'm re-openin after some time off). I have 2 FT kids and her oldest in before/after care with me.

Now i was never planning on offering before and after with full time kids but its one family and shes a teacher (I am on a teachers schedule) so just went for it.

We both had the expectation the bus stop would be in front of my house as it was last year, so would never have to leave my driveway. Now its 2 blocks from my house. Our roads dont het plowed during winter until late morning (I'm outside Ottawa in a small-er town). I never wanted to walk with 3 toddlers and an infant in -40, freezing rain, snow storms. Im not equipped for it and its not safe overall. So she said she would call to see if she can get it moved... A week before his start date. I really want to know whats happening BEFORE he starts becauae if it doesnt move, i'll need to tell her i won't take him for b/a school care. I need assurance beforehand.

Is it too pushy to send an email this week and request she gets things moving so we can plan accordingly? I am feeling super anxious now as this wasnt my plan.

Euphoric !
    Often the bus company does make any changes for a few weeks into the school year. It isnt until. Everyone is settled into the bus route routine that they start to add older siblings on the bus if there is room and make the closer stops etc.

It is possible that is why she is waiting? Personally I would wait until the end of the month (sept) to call but it sounds like she might be waiting longer? I would give her notice thst you need to know by x date that the bus will be at your driveway. If the school does not make this accomodation you cannot and willot provide the afterschool care.

Make sure she understands that you will not just shrug it off and drag the kids out. Do this by never dragging the kids to the bus stop. If the bus does not come to the door do not sccept the child into care.

Unless of course you are wiling to consider doing so. She has many weeks to get it sorted out or to find alternative care.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks Lee-bee!