Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When I Snap!

Euphoric !
    I completely agree with lee bee. Late fee's just tell the person that it's okay as long as you pay. I do have a late pick up fee but there are no late payment fee's because that is just non-negotiable with me. I also have a termination clause and can terminate for consistent late pick ups if I feel the need. That is scarier to me than a late fee IMO. They know that they can't show up late (whether it be 15 mins or an hour) and think I'm okay with that.

I also agree that life does happen!! There are situations where I know ahead of time that a parent may be late that day due to a different pick up but they let me know so that I am not waiting around wondering when they will show. It's usually less than 5 minutes so I don't even bother charging the late fee in these situations. It's all about being open and honest with me. If you consider my feelings and acknowledge when my day is over than I am more willing to help you out the odd time you need it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    What about late pick-up because of bad weather, ie. snow. If it's January and they are forcasting a snow storm, shouldn't parents plan for it? Do you accept this as an excuse? I have just this month, changed to a no-fee policy. Don't pay late, don't pick-up late. Not sure how it will go. But I was finding that there are some people just willing to pay the fee and I had to put up with the inconvenience.

Euphoric !
    I'm forgiving in bad weather Kindertime! Over the time parents spend with you, we can usually detect who "lies" to us and who doesn't. Liars usually get caught up in their lies.

I also have a traintrack near me and it holds traffic up for 20 minutes sometimes!! I can always tell when this is happening because the traffic is dead by our house lol. So I forgive for this when it happens too.

Euphoric !
    This is why I have a late fee. Sometimes people are late due to weather, trains, accident etc. I still charge the late fee. It is compensation for working over my hours. That is why I have the other clause that says consistent late pickups may result in termination. If it is once or twice due to a train then I am understanding.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I am open for 12 hours a day so there is no flexibility in terms of being late no matter what the weather is like because I really can't work anymore then that. I heard from other providers that they use to be flexible due to weather in the winter but then they would start to take advantage and drag that weather excuse month after month.

I have just changed my late fees. It is a staggering $25.00 for the first five minutes, the a dollar a minute after that. So if you show up 8 minutes late yo are billed 28.00. Late fees also count if you want to stand around talking after closing. The way I see it if I wanr to talk to the manager at the bank after I do my banking then it's my job to be there proir to closing, and to give myself enough time.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by crayolamom View Post
    Thank you ! I do it's $1 dollar a minute and they don't care they just say what's the late fee
    Maybe need to be clear - late fee not permission to be late. You have life after work like every adult. You have commitment. Your business is closing at end of day and it not an option to expect endless care. Tell them if you miss any more family supper, dental appointment, you will be terminating them for complete lack respecting your personal time.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    What about late pick-up because of bad weather, ie. snow. If it's January and they are forcasting a snow storm, shouldn't parents plan for it? Do you accept this as an excuse? I have just this month, changed to a no-fee policy. Don't pay late, don't pick-up late. Not sure how it will go. But I was finding that there are some people just willing to pay the fee and I had to put up with the inconvenience.
    I have late fee but I clear that late pickups not acceptable. There no planning to be late and no regular lateness. I have constant late as one of my reasons for on spot term WITH 4 week fee due in lieu of notice as entirely in parent control not to be repeatedly late.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by crayolamom View Post
    Thank you ! I do it's $1 dollar a minute and they don't care they just say what's the late fee
    I find that so disrespectful of them as if they have too much money and they respect you as a busy person with a life of your own outside of daycare- you should charge them a $1 a minute....it is so annoying

Shy
    I had a parent when I first started out that was getting into the habit of being late 5-20 minutes, because she claimed it was hard to drive at the regular time ( can't remember which season, spring or fall) because the sun was in her eyes after work,ugh. I was with an agency then, so couldn't do late fees.

Now I'm private, and my parents are all great about picking up on time.