Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

So unsure what to do, feeling lost!!!!!

Hello all, I need some advice. I'm feeling so lost on what to do. I have told my clients that I will no longer be able to take part time in my under 2 group and that full time enrollment is needed. I've had a client for almost 2 years and they have done part time, they now have a sibling who wants to enroll but only wants to go part time, but its the under 2 spot. I don't know that I can do it as I know I can fill the under 2 spot full time but I'm having trouble filling the over 2 spot and that would leave me with then two spots in over 2. I've asked them to go full time but because of their work schedule full time is just not an option, they don't need it. So my choices are either.... take both kids on the part time schedule or possibly loose both. I love this family to pieces and I couldn't ask for better clients!!! I don't want to loose them. Its breaking my heart to consider the possibility of loosing them! I need some advice, or a sense of what direction to do or other possibilities!!!!

Unfortunately you're just gonna have to decide if you want to continue working with the family or not. You can offer that they pay for full-time spot but just come the days that they want and if they want an extra day to run an errand or have an appt, then they can because they're paying for full time. But unfortunately if they only want to do part time and you financially don't want to provide part-time then you will have to let them find another daycare or if you can swing part-time for them then by all means take them. I know it's a tough decision I've been there myself!

They wont pay for the extra days, Ive asked already and its just not in their budget. Plus I only charge $25 for half day and i think I should raise it but not sure.

Euphoric !
    Is this for now or for January? You made the decision already that PT for under 2 yrs old doesn't work for you. I would tell them that you could still continue to accommodate the older child on a PT basis but they would need to find alternative care for the baby. Let them know that the spot is theirs until you find someone (of January if that is what you decided) and then start looking to fill BOTH spots now because chances are they will pull both.

Starting to feel at home...
    If you can afford to keep them keep them on. Another option is if they want to keep their part-time spot then they do a rate increase. I am going through another issue too, all caused by Bill 10. I promised a family I would never increase rates and then Bill 10 happened and BAM. Now I have to tell them I have to increase their rates by 5 dollars a day and I;m so nervous. I had a spot open for 4 months bc all the responses I'm getting is for infants. Ultimately you need to do whats best for you and your family bc all these other families look out for their own, we come second. You and your family come first so do what you need to do to make a living

I've been looking fill and over 2 spot for ages and its all the under 2, that are calling. Its for Sept when she wants to go back to her regular work schedule.

Starting to feel at home...
    Honestly start advertising! Start doing interviews because from past experience if you can't accommodate both they pull and that will put you at a loss with your income. What area are you in that your charge $25 for a half a day?

Get rid of that half day stuff. Charge a full days rate for the days they are there. This will help a lot financially. With me first off I changed to all full-time (I only kept one part-time but they pay 50 per day now). For me it doesn't matter if they come for 1 hour or 4 or even 8, if order for that spot to be available to you on that day you need to pay my daily fee.

They may claim they don't need the extra hours so they don't want to pay but too bad why should you suffer because they can't afford to pay you what you need to stay afloat. Depending in what area you are in I can tell you right now not many providers offer part-time care so they probably will stay.
    Last edited by crayolamom; 09-22-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Ontario, kw area

Euphoric !
    Well, while the over 2's are hard to fill you may luck out in finding a family that needs an under 2 and has an older sibling. Just like this family there are plenty of families out there that have a spot for their current 2+ child in a home daycare that won't have room for the new infant.

I think you are more likely to fill the 2+ spot with a sibling set than to fill the over 2 spot with no under 2 spot open.

Start advertising now. Advertise for an under 2 AND over 2 spot and see what you find.

Euphoric !
    I would take them on and advertise when you find a family to fill the over two or both then give the current family the option to go full time or find new care ...