Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just curious to know, does anyone offer half daycare

I am just wondering if anyone offer part time care, half day kind thing. If so how do you find it working out for you.

Outgoing
    I usually don't do half days, they always pay full day rates. The exception is one family that comes while my daughter is in preschool. This family comes twice a week, between 9-12. I didn't feel right charging full day fees, since the most they could use in a day was 3 hours. If the full day was available to them, they would pay for the full day.

Euphoric !
    I did this once in an effort to find more older kids. I was keeping one spot "open" anyways so I filled it with a family on my wait list. I offered her a preschool spot for her 3 year old for mornings during her mat leave. She took it knowing I would more likely offer them the full time spot when they needed it because we had a relationship. It worked out really well for me. I had another older child to play with my daughter who was 3.5 yrs and 4 mos later I offered them 2 FT spots for the 3 yo and her baby sister. They also referred a friend who had a 3 yo to take the alternative days when she was PT.

Euphoric !
    This was short term though and I told them that I couldn't guarantee them a FT spot in Jan.

Euphoric !
    nope once full day jk came into effect 1/2 days went out the window

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinyones1981 View Post
    I am just wondering if anyone offer part time care, half day kind thing. If so how do you find it working out for you.
    I not offer it because hard to find other person wanting second half of day and making sure no overlap ever. Some local provider do. They have preschool program for mornings. Option for enrollment on Mon, Wed, Fri OR Tue, Thu program.

So they take BAS children in morning, then children go school and preschool children come. Then they go home before lunch. Carer have couple hours before BAS return on bus.

She not offer care on school closure day, it purely BAS only. Then she schedule preschool program so no one in Summer and she have summer off with husband who teacher and own family. It good idea. Lot children who been home and not in daycare like interaction before starting real school.

Euphoric !
    My fee is per day, regardless of hours here

Euphoric !
    I feel like she was asking if anyone runs their daycare for half days only. Like from 8am-12noon everyday with no option of full-time care.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    I feel like she was asking if anyone runs their daycare for half days only. Like from 8am-12noon everyday with no option of full-time care.
    I see that could be what she asking, now.

In my area, I not think there would be enough demand for PT care. Here, parent who working PT are doing full days but less days. So 3 day a week or 4 day a week but still need 7am-5pm at least for those days.

If you live in area where high PT employment for half day, maybe it would work.

Do lot of people work just half day only? And live/work near your location?

Euphoric !
    I would think it is hard to stay at full capacity open only half days. There are often many stay at home mom families that want their child in half day group settings but I suspect they would make use of the many city run preschools versus a small home group that has mixed ages and only a few kids.

I'm not sure what city you are in but Ottawa had MANY really cheap preschool options...like $10 a day (2-2.5hrs) and that jut seems easier and cheaper than paying a home daycare for socialization. I would also be looking for a larger group of same aged children for socialization.

If you only want to work part time and run a home daycare I do think you are best to choose a few days (Tues/Thurs or (Mon/Wed/Fri) and work full days. There are TONS of families where one parent only works a few days a week and even MORE families where grandparents want to take the kids 2 days a week so they don't need 5 days.