Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

FTM - question about day care wait lists for 1 year old

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here and a bit overwhelmed. I'm expecting my first in December 2015 and hoping to return to work in January 2017 full-time. A lot of people tell me that I need to put my baby on wait-lists now but when I look around at this site, it looks like many home day cares have openings. What advice would you be able to give me?

Thanks

Euphoric !
    If you want centre-based care then you need to try and get on the lists now...depending on the centres you want. I know many families that got on the list while pregnant and didn't get a call for a spot until the child was 2yrs old.

For home based care it is too early now. I would start looking around when your child is about 6months old to get a sense of what you want. But even then it is early. Be prepared to put down a 2 week deposit when you find a place you want to secure. If you find a home daycare that you really want that has a spot open but you want to secure the spot for a few months later then be prepared to pay a holding fee (anywhere from half to full month rate) since the home daycare will be leaving that spot open for you with no income. But generally you can find a spot a couple months ahead where the daycare provider knows her space will be opening (family moving, child going to school etc).

What province are you in? If you are in Ontario. GET ON WAITING LISTS NOW. With the new rules we can ONLY have two child under the age of 2years of age at a time (on the property). The new law has just come into affect (aug 31, 2015) It is already making it very hard for some families in some area to get care. In other areas it isn't so bad yet, but will be within the next 6 months to a year.

Starting to feel at home...
    If you are looking for a home daycare in Ontario, as BlueRose mentioned, the government has put some new restrictions on home daycare providers which has limited the spaces available for children under the age of 2. It is becoming increasingly more difficult for parents to find a space for their one year olds. I would suggest to start looking shortly after the baby is born. However, keep in mind that a lot of providers will not know if they will have a space that far in advance. I think it's still better to start looking early though. There could be some providers that know they have a child leaving around when you need care to begin (a mom could be going on Mat leave and taking her older child out of the daycare, for example). You don't want to miss out on a space with a good provider as the spaces for one year olds will fill fast when they become available.

Starting to feel at home...
    If you live in Ontario I would start looking now. With Bill 10 we are constantly turning away potential clients because we aren't able to take in as many infants as in the past. I am at full capacity and have a crazy wait list for infant so I would start looking!

Euphoric !
    Although Ontario does have new restriction, many other provinces have had same restriction for long time. Depend on province, some more restricted.

Find out what your regs are - it's good to know anyway so if interviewing can do head count and see if dayhome operating legally.

For PEI, most provider get 2-4 week notice. I have wait list but some year, no vacancy all year and other year, lose 2-4 children to school so being on list, is far from assurance of place when you need it.

More chance if willing to pay for place which opens before you need it as lot won't hold place without fees being paid for future date. Some will for very short time only.

More important to think about hours you need care as all have different open/close times. I not often option to extend hour just because we working from home. If provider does agree to earlier drop off or pick up, expect to pay extra.

Think what sort program is important. Outside time? Lot of craft? No TV? Then look for local people who have program you want. Think about what you can be flexible with. Pet in house? Supply own food?

Find provide who meet needs and who you like. Need to be able to speak openly with each other if problem happen.

You might have lot options once know these things. You might have only few. If limited option, get on list.

I tend call people on list first when know place is opening up. Then if timing not right, I advertise. Not sure if everyone does same so maybe ask if you find carer you like to see how she uses list.