Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Ottawamommy: As for your vacation, you are charging someone for a service that you are not providing how is that ethical?? You claim that you are self employed but want employee benefits of getting paid on your sick days and vacation days then complain for days on this form how to save money and your logical way of thinking is taking seconds and thirds away from hungry children at meal times in order to save money but you buy food and pay for playgroups for children that aren't even there that day? Awesome problem solving skills

Many are on this trip "OH WELL IF I PAY FOR FULL-TIME I SHOULD GET TO COME WHENEVER I WANT AND WHEN I WANT"

No you can't because if you did without giving me a 2 week notice then your pick up/drop offs would be all over the place turning my business into a drop off center

LOL, some heads are going to roll when some read the remark about taking seconds or thirds away from littles. Them's fightin' words..LOL

Here's how I handle my drop off's and pick ups. All my families must call me by 8 AM the day of, to say that they are not going to be here. If I do not get a call by 8 AM saying they are going to be absent I prepare for them to be here, and even so if after forty mins (Of course I allow for extenuating circumstances) then it is assumed that care is not needed for the day. I have yet to have that happen, because I make this clear during my interview. That, we as a daycare have a schedule, and it must be adhered to.

Too, when my perm. families are choosing there times I allow them to drop off until 11 AM each day (They choose at contract signing) This way I know how much to make for lunch, and they are here by 9 am most times because they know that if they choose to drop off any later that they miss morning park time and snack.

But for my casual job dad I always assume he is going to be here until my cut off drop off time of 11 AM each day, but he is very good about letting me know when he is working because he understands that others depend on my daily schedule, and he is considerate of this, as best as possible.

Once I know for sure who is going to be absent, then and only then do I open this up for casual bookings.

I have no idea how this became about vacation, but my contract and days of rest are perfectly legal, because I charge an enrollment fee, and reimburse when required based on the number of days in the month divided by their monthly rate.

ETA: I allow for a 10 hour WITH drive time, anything over that is over time, and a separate fee is attached. I do not allow early drop offs and have made parents wait outside in the car to prove that this does not happen here. Also if you are changing your regular drop off and or pick up, the family must inform me by phone...no other way...with 24 hours notice and a small charge that they are changing their times. Again, I have yet for this to happen as everyone knows I am 100% serious about this
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 09-30-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Expansive...
    When a parent is paying for f/t and only use p/t then they are paying for f/t and it is their days not the casual parents that are on the sideline waiting to see if they can come to daycare
    IMO the f/t parents shouldn't need to tell their plans for 2 weeks in advance
    it is double dipping to get the extra money which is fine if it works for the f/t parent and the casual and your ratio of kids but if the f/t parent wants the extra days she has 1st take on these days or someone is taking her days away which is so unfair to the f/t parent
    I care for infant/toddlers so no way would I take a casual inf or toddler as they are so much work
    Last edited by Van; 09-30-2015 at 04:57 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Perhaps some clarification is in order....from the OP, even though it was erased;

Originally Posted by crayolamom

I have a family that comes 3 days a week. If families choose not to come all 5 days they still pay the weekly fee as I do not charge per day.
    She charges by the week, not the day. Perhaps it's a bit of semantics, but that may make a difference in the argument for her situation. BTW, not taking a side, but I didn't "get" that, the first time I read the OP.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by ottawamommy View Post
    Some parents only want part-time care but don't want to be restricted to certain days. Many families don't just want to dump their child off to daycare. It's not always about money with everyone some people actually want to spend time with their children.
    I didn't say I would be sending my child every day, I said I would tell the provider I needed all the days, and then keep my child home on the days I didn't need. That sounds like the only way I could be sure I could use a different day, if my schedule changed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Op, I think it's highly childish to delete your post and blame it on the "pit bulls of this site". I don't think anyone attacked you but maybe tried to open your eyes to how your agreement comes across and how it's unfair to some parents.

I think maybe you are feeling guilty and realized what we said was maybe how you should ethically approach this situation in the future? At least I hope this is the case taking advantage of clients is never a good thing!

There are many different ways to run our dc's but when it comes to us or parents being taken advantage of, I find the majority of us agree that is wrong and stand up for what is morally right.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    There is nothing wrong with what I do and I will continue to do it. If someone signs a contract with me and tells me they will never need Mondays but want the spot or if we agree to contract hours/days and all of a sudden they want to switch days and pick up/drop off hours, to bad! I was told one thing so I scheduled my other families hours around our schedule. Majority of you on this form wouldn't allow parents to pick and change their days change drop off/pick up hours last minute. I also allow parents to pick up during nap time in order to help accommodate what they need as MANY of you do not allow this. So next time you want to go off about how unethical someone is or how someone is taking advantage of someone remember that another provider may do more then another provider in a different way. As for the money thing , they pay a weekly fee not a daily one and as for children not needing 2nds or 3rds hmm your not a dietician so I would hold off on remarks because I am pretty sure last time I talked to my doctors kids are growing/active and do require more food at time and by restricting them food that would be a form of neglect.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by crayolamom View Post
    There is nothing wrong with what I do and I will continue to do it. If someone signs a contract with me and tells me they will never need Mondays but want the spot or if we agree to contract hours/days and all of a sudden they want to switch days and pick up/drop off hours, to bad! I was told one thing so I scheduled my other families hours around our schedule. Majority of you on this form wouldn't allow parents to pick and change their days change drop off/pick up hours last minute. I also allow parents to pick up during nap time in order to help accommodate what they need as MANY of you do not allow this. So next time you want to go off about how unethical someone is or how someone is taking advantage of someone remember that another provider may do more then another provider in a different way. As for the money thing , they pay a weekly fee not a daily one and as for children not needing 2nds or 3rds hmm your not a dietician so I would hold off on remarks because I am pretty sure last time I talked to my doctors kids are growing/active and do require more food at time and by restricting them food that would be a form of neglect.
    1. I think the majority of us would allow the parents to change their days if they're PAYING for it. A weekly fee is no different than a daily fee...they're paying for the WEEK and are entitled to come. I agree that they should give you a time for drop off and pick up though. If you want to double dip that's fine but like others have said, the first parent should ALWAYS get first chance at the day. I'm assuming you haven't had much issue with this because lots of parents haven't needed to do this yet and don't realize that they will be told no for a day they've paid for

2. I also allow pick up time during nap

3. I'm not a dietician but doctors aren't either right? That's why they send you to dieticians when needed. There are ample articles online that will help you determine how much baby and toddlers need. I have one printed and hanging on my cupboard for quick reference. If you are giving them healthy, balanced, appropriately sized meal and snacks than no, 2nds and especially 3rds are not needed. Just as too little food is a form of neglect, so is too much!! I will give seconds if they've eaten their whole meal and want more but never thirds...that's just irresponsible and in excess IMO.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 10-01-2015 at 09:21 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    If you're reading this while you're calm, I think you'll see that everyone that replied to the original post is trying to be very reasonable. Your posts are the only ones that are defensive and angry sounding. I don't know if you mean to sound like that or not, but that's how it is coming across.

By your standards, I'm doing pretty well. I give the kids second servings if they eat all of their first serving. I allow pick up during nap times, I'm flexible with my drop off times, is there anything else? But I would still always let the first family have a day (or week) they paid for. The second drop in family would have to make other arrangements.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think I need a bit of clarification. So they pay a weekly fee for their 4 days and never use Monday. They all of a sudden want a Monday and you say no. Is their "weekly fee" the same as someone who comes 5 days? Is it less because they only use 4. Honestly if they are paying the same as the 5 day a week people then you should not be telling them no if they want a Monday all of a sudden. Just my 2 cents.

Not feeding a child seconds or thirds is neglect?! Lol. Ummm, regardless if they are growing one helping should be plenty. Obviously the helping sizes are too small if they ask for 2nds often

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Im going to jump in on this (even though I wanted to avoid)
    I think if they are paying a weekly fee, and contracted for certain days ie tuesday, wednesday, friday, then, regardless of how much they are paying, they are NOT entitled to switch. but if they are paying a weekly fee, for five days with an understanding that they have that spot, then they are. How much they pay doesnt matter, that is mute. I have some parents paying more just because they are new, and I raised my fees, the older clients will not pay more until I raise my rates. Lots of providers will charge more per day for kids that only come 2-3 days.for example 5 days of care is $40/day or 200 a week, but 3 days of care $50/day or $150 a week, and the weekly rate applies regardless of attendance.
    Also, even if they are paying for five days, with the understanding that they will be changing the days needed, I feel like a 24-48 hour notice is required (2 weeks is too long, but 24-48 hrs reasonable)
    so, I have to side with the OP in this (if I am understanding the situation)
    Last edited by MsBell; 10-01-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast