Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Outgoing
    So, I just read it all, and I am not sure I'm understanding. At one point I thought you said they all paid for a full time spot, but then in another post, you say you're giving your part time families flexibility? So are they paying full time or part time?
    If they were paying full time, and I was them, I would probably just plan to use them all, and if I didn't have to work on a particular day, I'd call in sick to daycare? I can't be the only one thinking that?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think if a family is paying ft than the spot is theirs. They can come any day they want and they shouldn't have to give me 2 weeks notice of when they'll be there. I understand not wanting to be a drop in centre but IMO that is more so for when parents come and go as they please during the day (like showing up at 11am one day, 9 the next etc).

It is completely a reward if a parent pays you but doesn't bring their child. It gives you a lighter load for that day.

I can understand why a parent would be upset with this agreement. If you're making me pay ft than that is MY spot and I'll want to use it when it's convenient for ME.

If you want to do this, than I think you should be reimbursing the parents for days you find another child to come. If not, you are being paid twice for one spot and for me, that is wrong! I wouldn't want that done to me so I don't do that to others

Also, I'm sure all play groups are different but here, you pay if you go so I wouldn't be out any money anyways. Some even just charge per group not per person. Come to think about it, none of my outings are prepaid so that's a non-issue. However, you are being paid for that child to be there so whether they go or not shouldn't matter too much anyways because you aren't technically out any money.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 09-29-2015 at 06:50 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I use to do this and it did get complicated at times but no one got upset about it everyone understood. I took on extra kids on a day a child might not be there in order to make a little more income that way I didn't have increase my rates. It got too complicated for me so I just increased my rates and let people come and go as they pleased. No it's not a reward if that child doesn't come they are paying for flexibility.

Euphoric !
    So where's the flexibility than?? A parent pays for all 5 days but can only use 3 if they don't give 2 weeks notice....doesn't sound like something that I'd agree too. It's a reward in my eyes

I agree that making extra money is nice but IMO there are right and wrong ways to do this. Increasing your fee seems like the better choice

Sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 09-29-2015 at 06:52 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    They are NOT paying for flexibility they are paying for full time care but are only allowed to use it part time with 2 weeks notice.

The caregiver should ASSUME that child is attending each and every day and plan to provide food and outings as if that child was going to be there. If they don't show up they don't show up...it's on the parents tab not the caregivers. The only difference to the caregiver is that some days they have less work as one kid doesn't show up.

As a caregiver I find it unethical to charge full time care and only allow part time access to that spot. You are not providing the services paid for. As a parent I would up and leave. I'm surprised they haven't already.

If you want to fill the empty days to make some bonus cash so be it...but it should NEVER prevent the family from using the day that they need and they paid for.

This does not compare to paid vacation. During vacation your daycare is closed for a pre-agreed upon time and is not available to any of your daycare families. In this case the daycare is open...but another child is using a space that belongs to a different child and is preventing a family from using the services paid for. I would call that a breach of contract and would terminate care.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

What do you call a parent who only needs part-time care and needs different days not set ones?! ITS CALLED PAYING FOR FULL-TIME IN ORDER TO GET ANY 5 DAYS!!! She is giving them what they want no where did she say on this form that they aren't allowed to come full-time just that she doesn't allow last minute changes. Nowhere did I read that this family needed fulltime it clearly stated they needed part-time and wanted to switch days. As for your vacation, you are charging someone for a service that you are not providing how is that ethical?? You claim that you are self employed but want employee benefits of getting paid on your sick days and vacation days then complain for days on this form how to save money and your logical way of thinking is taking seconds and thirds away from hungry children at meal times in order to save money but you buy food and pay for playgroups for children that aren't even there that day? Awesome problem solving skills

Many are on this trip "OH WELL IF I PAY FOR FULL-TIME I SHOULD GET TO COME WHENEVER I WANT AND WHEN I WANT"

No you can't beucase if you did without giving me a 2 week notice then your pick up/drop offs would be all over the place turning my bsiness into a drop off center
    Last edited by ottawamommy; 09-30-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    So, I just read it all, and I am not sure I'm understanding. At one point I thought you said they all paid for a full time spot, but then in another post, you say you're giving your part time families flexibility? So are they paying full time or part time?
    If they were paying full time, and I was them, I would probably just plan to use them all, and if I didn't have to work on a particular day, I'd call in sick to daycare? I can't be the only one thinking that?
    Some parents only want part-time care but don't want to be restricted to certain days. Many families don't just want to dump their child off to daycare. It's not always about money with everyone some people actually want to spend time with their children.

If a f/t client isn't using their space that day and you fill that spot with one of your occasional clients, then I would not charge f/t client for that day. That is the honest thing to do especially since you don't allow your f/t clients access to their paid for spot due to a last minute schedule change. If you don't, it is double dipping and as your client I would not tolerate it.

The argument regarding paid holidays/sick days in comparison to this analogy is mute as it is a different issue regarding a separate contract agreement that is about being decent to your daycare provider. Like myself, some providers do not charge for these days and that is up to them. For those that do charge for these days it may be the norm in their area as in mine it is not.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ottawamommy View Post
    What do you call a parent who only needs part-time care and needs different days not set ones?! ITS CALLED PAYING FOR FULL-TIME IN ORDER TO GET ANY 5 DAYS!!! She is giving them what they want no where did she say on this form that they aren't allowed to come full-time just that she doesn't allow last minute changes. Nowhere did I read that this family needed fulltime it clearly stated they needed part-time and wanted to switch days. As for your vacation, you are charging someone for a service that you are not providing how is that ethical?? You claim that you are self employed but want employee benefits of getting paid on your sick days and vacation days then complain for days on this form how to save money and your logical way of thinking is taking seconds and thirds away from hungry children at meal times in order to save money but you buy food and pay for playgroups for children that aren't even there that day? Awesome problem solving skills

Many are on this trip "OH WELL IF I PAY FOR FULL-TIME I SHOULD GET TO COME WHENEVER I WANT AND WHEN I WANT"

No you can't beucase if you did without giving me a 2 week notice then your pick up/drop offs would be all over the place turning my bsiness into a drop off center

I don't charge for my sick days or when on holidays. I also don't get paid twice for one spot. I'm not on a power trip (not sure why it would be considered that anyways??), it's just how I run my business based on what I feel is fair and right.

As for saving money....it makes sense to cut back where you can (no child needs 3rd helpings at this age, that's how obesity starts IMO) but it doesn't make sense to take advantage of parents. I know you don't think you are but IMO (and obviously others) you most certainly are.

Also, IME, parents who are pt often need to change their schedule. If they pay for a ft spot than this should be allowed as it should be no issue, it's THEIR spot. 2 weeks notice is far too much IMO. If they're only paying for pt than no, changes can only happen if you can make it work.

As a side note, are you and the OP the same person? Just wondering...

Also, you said it yourself....this family needs pt but wants to be able to switch days so yes they DO need ft and because of that, they PAY ft!! But yet can't switch days unless 2 weeks notice is given. Like others, I'm shocked parents agree to this as it's ridiculous!
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 09-30-2015 at 08:29 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I am a little late to the discussion! The original post has been deleted so I am not certain what it says. Here is my opinion based solely on what everyone else has said.

If a family is paying for full time it is available for them full time. I would never ever refuse care. I have however taken a casual child on a day my full time child is away. I do not refund the full time parent any money.

I currently have a teacher's child. I already know she will be away for Christmas and spring break. During that time she still pays (I charge a holiday rate of $25 a day). During those time I usually have an older sibling attend. I am getting paid 2x for one spot. If teachers mom ever decided to use the space it is hers and she would get the space over anyone else.

I will also mention I do not charge for my holidays or sick days.

Not sure about the thread about serving kids seconds and thirds as I didn't read it. For myself kids get 1 helping and that's it. There are no seconds and thirds. I serve portions the right size for the child and that's it. Never had a kid ask for more.
    Last edited by mickyc; 09-30-2015 at 09:32 AM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast