Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

First Day Of Daycare

Does anyone allow parents to come to your home with their childs first day? I have allowed this in the past but have had parent take complete advantage of this once push over lol they say they want to come for 20 mins end up staying the whole day?

I also find it very hard to follow my schedule and uncomfortable with other parents around. I do not allow then to come but they will ask about 4-8 times before start date and it gets a little annoying like UGH I already told you my rules and no means no!! Lol

I have one parent starting in 2 weeks who informed me that other daycare let parents "pop" in AND be present for transitioning ? What I am thinking in my mind is why didn't you go there then.

How does everyone else feel about this? Are you for it or against is and why?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Euphoric !
    Absolutely for it!!!! ......with boundaries though

We are a home based business. They are trusting us with the most important thing in their life and they're just supposed to take our word that were a nice, normal, caring, fair, gentle person?? I think not lol. Would you feel comfortable if roles were reversed? Trust takes time and it will come but until then, it is part of our job to help create that trust.

If a parent wants to bring their child for an hour or so as a play date in the beginning, I allow that. Usually from 10-11 as it doesn't disrupt morning snack or lunch or they can join us outside from 330-430 at end of day for play date. These occur before the child starts with me as the parent stays with them. Once the child starts, I ask drop off to be 1-3 mins and we can chat longer at pickup if needed/wanted.

I also encourage parents to take the first month and pick up unexpectedly. They can "catch" me off guard and see that I am a nice normal person lol. After the month, I like to be told if times will be different though so I can plan my days and activities.

Honestly, I haven't had a lot take up the hour play date opportunity but a few have and it goes okay. Sure there might be some kids that take this time to "show off" or test boundaries but again, part of the job IMO. It also allows the new family to see me in action so to speak lol. Very very few show up unexpectedly.

I think parents just want to know that the option is there and that were being transparent with how we do things. They take that as a good sign instead of a red flag if I were just to say no, you need to trust me from the get go.

Euphoric !
    I don't allow random drop ins and parent to stay. It very disruptive to our schedule. We normal go out from 9am until 11am. They welcome to meet us where we going for part of that outside time. I typical have one parent start as place open up so phase in inside my house would make me over ratios. Instead I suggest they wait until the place is theirs and then they can pick up early, random times (avoiding nap time) but expectation is child go home with them, not in and out without child.

Most of my client take FT place and then phase in on their dime. Maybe choose come morning or afternoon only, and pick up/drop off a different time so day get longer with child here.

I would not have parent come in and leave without child or stay for whole day. I understand we are unknown to new parent but new parent also unknown to us and we not have references or police check on them so it not okay for them hang-out with existing client children.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I love it when parents stay. It's not at all uncommon for clients to come in for a cup of tea and a visit. I encourage it and, for the most part, enjoy it. I have a fully open door policy, but it's not for everyone.

How do you watch all the children if you are having tea with parents? I run a very structured program and if I were to do this we would be totally be off schedule and most parents would be annoyed that they are paying me to have tea and chit chat with other parents.

Like I said my program is very structured and I charge more then most home daycares in my area so I think due to this my clientele EXPECTS a certain type of service and this would mostly likely upset them which is understandable.

As for the OP I do not allow parent to come in. This is my home and some boundaries need to be set and what you do for one you do for all and I would never be able to run my program with five parents in my home not to mention it's uncomfortable.

Daycare is a place where children need to learn independence away from mom and dad so having mom and dad will not help the transition process at all if anything it will prolong it. I treat my daycare like a school and correct me if I am wrong but I don't think my daughters school would allow 30 parents in the classroom.

I understand parents want to feel more secure or comfortable but I will not allow random check ins so parents can keep tabs on me, if they need that types of security then they need to go to a daycare facility with cameras.

I use to allow this and after doing it twice I stopped all together. I had a DCD following me very quietly around my home, I turned around to leave and said bye and he said bye but very quietly was walking behind and I actually almost had a heart attack.

We meet people on kijij, online etc. do you know how unsafe that it and what dangers you could be putting yourself in. Ever heard of the Craigs list killer? No way! If god forbid anything ever happened to a provider I guarantee it would be all over the news "why would she let someone in her home that she just met on Craig's list or kijiji"

Suzie is right you don't have these peoples police checks and for the safety of the children in your care do not do this. There are so many weirdo's out there !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to crayolamom For This Useful Post:

I don't allow it. I use to but I found it so hard to run my day. My little ones would cry for their mom and my older one was crying it's unfair her mom gets to play here all day or all morning but my mom doesn't. Everyone acts differently around someone new and my schedule goes out the window. They can transition before the start date. So they come to the park with us one morning. Easy when we're out of the house. Then next day they come in to play for 20/30mins tops then they leave I find it way easier on the child to without mom hanging around.

Euphoric !
    I understand the fear of letting strangers into our homes but honestly, if that's a huge concern for anyone(providers and clients), than this job/hdc isn't for them. If we sign on a shady family it isn't going to matter if we allow an hour play date or not. If they're going to do something bad, it's going to happen....

For as often as play dates or random pickup happens, it's not been an issue for me. I live in a smaller city too so that probably helps. Most times I have dc families that know each other or we have mutual friends online.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 10-13-2015 at 08:09 AM.

Euphoric !
    Crayolamom, I pour her a cup of tea and invite her to join in what we're doing. It's not difficult. We offer different types of service. I run a structured but also flexible program, and this is what appeal to my clients, which is why I also charge more than other providers in my area. I like it, the clients like it and the kids like it, so in my books, it works. I do lots of things with my clients. Actually, this Friday is our next Parents' Night out. We have reservations for all of us to meet up for dinner and drinks at a local gastro-pub. They LOVE the openness of my business, so it works very well for our group.

Euphoric !
    Frankly it doesn't matter what others do. You need to do what YOU are comfortable with. If the parents are not comfortable with the way you do it then they may not be the right family for your daycare. If they keep pressuring you to do it their way then simply point out hat they may not be a good fit and should they continue to push the matter after you have explained yourself then they will need to seek care elsewhere.

The main point of home daycare is for parents to have the ability to choose the type of care they want their child in. The key is the parents (and caregivers) picking the right place/family and not forcing change after signing the contract.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I understand the fear of letting strangers into our homes but honestly, if that's a huge concern for anyone(providers and clients), than this job/hdc isn't for them. If we sign on a shady family it isn't going to matter if we allow an hour play date or not. If they're going to do something bad, it's going to happen....

For as often as play dates or random pickup happens, it's not been an issue for me. I live in a smaller city too so that probably helps. Most times I have dc families that know each other or we have mutual friends online.
    I do not understand the logic here. So because I don't want strangers around my children, my self and daycare children we shouldn't be doing daycare? Not likely if parents want to keep tabs which I know MANY do then go to a centre with cameras. I am not a 12 year old babysitter that needs checking up on. I keep my business very professional and do not befriend my clients for me that is a no no.