Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Unvaccinated child

Hi,,everyone. I am new here and just open my daycare. My first client (2 and half years old ) is not fully vaccinated, but he is totally healthy. I hesitate to take him in. I am in a stressed financial now, really need income. If I take him in now, it is fine for me because I have only him. But I do not know later if I have more children to come how their parents would think of their kids contact with an unvaccinated child. Should I take him in or not? And usually how long it take to get more clients? Thanks in advance!

Euphoric !
    It is such a personal preference. Are you comfortable with it? Money aside...are you comfortable with the child being unvaccinated? Will you plan on taking younger children in the future. Children under 12months don't have some vaccines yet so the unvaccinated child could pose a greater risk to them. Even children older than 12months haven't had their full vaccines yet so are not fully vaccinated.

Obviously you yourself are not to blame if an unvaccinated child spreads something to a child that isn't yet fully vaccinated (due to age). But, are you comfortable with putting them in a position where there is that risk (how ever small it may be).

Incoming parents will have varying thoughts...long term I can see losing many families due to this than it being worthwhile (to take the child now for money). Assuming you tell the families.

Where are you located? What province? If you are in Ontario I would think you will possibly be able to fill your 2 spots for children under age 2 fairly quickly due to the new laws. But, it can take anywhere from a week to a year to fill all your spots there are just so many variables.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I personally have never asked about vaccinations. I have never had a parent ask if the other kids are vaccinated either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have always been indifferent to whether or not a child is vaccinated. I would ask if they were but never asked for proof etc. When the measles outbreak occurred, I asked all my families if they were all up to date to be safe. My newest family asked about the vaccine status of the other children as one of their first questions. At their previous day home a child there was unvaccinated (unbeknownst to any of them) and he contracted the measles. My client was pregnant at the time. This became a big issue obviously for them and for the other families.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't ask as frankly, I don't care. I feel it's controversial and very very personal and dependent on many different variables. I've had parents tell me but I've never asked.

However, if you're not comfortable with it, that's fine!!

Starting to feel at home...
    It is my personal preference to NOT take on kids that are not vaccinated. My reason is simply I believe that vaccinations are a good thing, and if someone doesnt, then we are not compatible to work together. I feel that these children are living in my home, not just a quick visit, but pretty much living here for 3-5 days. They eat, sleep, use my washrooms, my linens, my dishes, touch and come into contact with my home. I already put my health, and the health of my kids at a risk for this business (colds, strep throat, chicken pox, rotavirus etc) I am not interested in worrying about whooping cough, measles, polio , ebola etc coming into my home. I get that out in public I could come into contact with it, but that is a risk I take, at home, I prefer to avoid that risk. I also have friends that don't want that risk, people with young babies, pregnant, elderly, compromised immune etc.
    On top of that, my little sister got whooping cough years ago, was hospitalized for weeks, and it was really rather frightening. back then, MOST kids got their vacinations without question (my mom didnt think it was a big deal to be on time, if everyone else gets their shots, then whats the worry?) however, now a days it seems every other new mom questions the need for vaccines. I do ask clients, I dont ask for copies of the record, but go on their word, if a parent told me that they were not getting vaccines, then I would not take them on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MsBell For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thanks everyone! I do feel uncomfortable to take that unvaccinated child. So I refused to take him in. Thanks again !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Skye For This Useful Post:

I'm the same way Skye. Everyone's different but I prefer all kids to be vaccinated. So I only take kids in that are

there was something in the news about how in ontario all children will have to be fully vaccinated for day care and school

Euphoric !
    I not used to worry about vaccination, never thought to ask for long time. Then little girl come into our lives who very special to my family and have health issues so she not able to be vaccinated. Her situation rely on being protected by those who can be immunised, offering her protection. Now, because this little girl come into our home frequent, I not take unimmunized children.