Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gluten Free?

Starting to feel at home...

Gluten Free?

So I have an interview with a family, and they are gluten free. Mom says she will provide LOs food. I am very hesitant, because I have heard this before, moms who need special diet, but then "forget" to supply lunch or snacks, leaving me to try to substitute. So I put in my contract that I can not provide food for special diets. Here is my problem, one little guy that I just took on about a month ago, great kid, great family, is showing some gastro issues that might be symptoms of a gluten sensitvity. If he needs to go gluten free, then Mom will have to provide his food (that hasnt happened yet) so im thinking, if I have one, then how hard would it be to have two on gluten free diets? I am not interested in changing my menus at all, however any of you ladies have some kids bring their own food for this reason? Like I said, it has happened before (a few times) but there was always the forgetful days, where mom would say "oh just give them whatever, I forgot"

I've done it before. It was for a nut allergy. Mom had to bring the child's food. If mom forgot I didn't accept the child into daycare. As I didn't feel comfortable to just feed her "whatever". She had to leave with the child, go home get the food then come back. It happened twice but she understood why I was uncomfortable and was fine with it. I didn't have any other problems. I put in my contract that if food was forgotten care would be unavailable till food was brought. Obviously gluten is less a worry then nuts but I don't take a chance when it comes to allergies.

I accommodate all allergies not food preference and I do run a peanut free daycare. If you do not want to provide this get parents to bring the food with it labeled. If she shows up to daycare without the food then send her home with the child to get it then come back. If they ever give you are hard time about making them go home to get the food just simply say you didn't prepare enough food or don't have the type of food needed to accommodate the allergy because it was understood the parents would provide.

Normally parents understand and don't want their kids to be hungry so I don't think you will have a problem.

Euphoric !
    I've never had a parent forget their child's food when they have allergies. Most parents will not want their child to go hungry or have the provider give them something they shouldn't.

I would ask that they supply the food if you're not willing to completely change your menu. They sound like they are okay doing this so bonus!!

Another question regarding this, does the parent have to provide all the food for the day, or only substitute when needed? I cant help but think that this is going to create more work on my end, and I am not up for that. Do I tell the parents that if they want to bring their childs food, its an "all or nothing" deal?

I do all or nothing. U pack for the day so I'm not reading labels all day wondering if this child can eat it or not. Its how I do it and no problems. They come with a lunch box with two snack and lunch. I also ask the parents to buy a box of cookies or crackers that they can have and that stays at my house. So if I run out from the lunch box I can go to those crackers. And they refill that box when I go through it all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It makes a difference too whether they are gluten free by choice or by medical need as in any cross contamination - both kinds of crackers on the counter at the same time would be enough to give the gluten sensitive child a reaction so it is more than just mom sending the food.

For sure she provides it all for the day as someone mentioned to hard to read labels all day or to know exactly what fillers are also a no no. I would also not be lowering my fee any either in that while I am not providing food I am having to spend extra time being conscious of who is eating what, it will limit things like baking experiences for the group or cause me to spend extra to buy special products so that when we bake all can touch the ingredients and eat the final product.

Euphoric !
    If you do take them on just have them leave a few emergency foods at your house. Something with a long shelf life that you can use to top up the child's meals when needed or in a pinch feed the child should they forget the child's meals.

As mentioned above I would ensure that the child is ok if there is minor cross contamination on the rare occasion. I would think with gluten allergy it is ok...as it typically just makes them sick to the stomach (though with potential long term consequences) and not anaphylactic.

Euphoric !
    I would do all or nothing. I had a family ask once but I said they would not get any reduction in fees. The ended up going elsewhere.

Euphoric !
    I do all or nothing. I provide food and milk and if it not suitable for allergy or life choice, they provide all own child food. I make sure contracted edited to state clearly. I not give discount if they need provide food either.
    My fees is daily fee which include activities, toys, and meals. If they opt not to use any part of my service, fees unchanged because it not broken down to all aspects.