Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gluten Free?

I ask to have a treat item on hand, snack items, loaf of bread to put in the freezer, and a few meals that can be frozen for days when kids need a bit more.
    The only special item that is needed right now is homo milk.
    We, meaning my family is gluten free, egg free, milk free, food dye free. I make everything from scratch, made the best batch of granola this am with the kids.
    You can either have the parents send in the meals, or charge them x amount extra to supply the foods. Do you know if this is by choice, intolerance, or allergy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    see 33 Daiseys, that just seems like more extra work then I care for at the moment. I have a family of my own, and I dont have the extra storage space in my freezer or cupboards for a stock pile of groceries, plus, then I have to prepare at least two separate meals (or go gluten free myself) and worry about cross contamination , and this could be for two kids of different families....too much extra to worry about having on hand. Im thinking that the parents would have to provide a lunch box, with prepared snacks and lunches ready to use (not buy a bunch of groceries and I do the work) but I do forsee that I will end up being expected to take the special diet over.

Outgoing
    I had a family who's little guy was diagnosed with autism while in my care. Mom decided that going gluten-free would magically help him be "less" autistic. OK, well, not my kid. I said they would have to send all his food, which they happily did, every day, in a lunch box. The only thing that was kept here was a carton of gluten-free soy milk to fill his bottle with. If they forgot his lunch, I wouldn't have taken him that day, but they never did.

I also had a child with a peanut and tree-nut allergy. This was an actual allergy, not just a dietary choice, and my entire house became nut-free when I took them on, and for the 2 years he was here. Given the choice, I wouldn't do it again, as even for my family, none of whom like nuts, it was tough.

Basically, I offer healthy, balanced, home-cooked meals. If parents want something different and it's not something that my family is already doing for us, then the parents can send the food everyday.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBell View Post
    So I have an interview with a family, and they are gluten free. Mom says she will provide LOs food. I am very hesitant, because I have heard this before, moms who need special diet, but then "forget" to supply lunch or snacks, leaving me to try to substitute. So I put in my contract that I can not provide food for special diets. Here is my problem, one little guy that I just took on about a month ago, great kid, great family, is showing some gastro issues that might be symptoms of a gluten sensitvity. If he needs to go gluten free, then Mom will have to provide his food (that hasnt happened yet) so im thinking, if I have one, then how hard would it be to have two on gluten free diets? I am not interested in changing my menus at all, however any of you ladies have some kids bring their own food for this reason? Like I said, it has happened before (a few times) but there was always the forgetful days, where mom would say "oh just give them whatever, I forgot"

You should research it, my hubby is a celiac and aside from bread we've found that it's not too expensive. There are more and more stores selling gluten free products at competitive rates. You just have to shop for the deals and know what to avoid.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by daycaremom9 View Post

You should research it, my hubby is a celiac and aside from bread we've found that it's not too expensive. There are more and more stores selling gluten free products at competitive rates. You just have to shop for the deals and know what to avoid.
    For me, advantage of providing food is all children eat same. No arguing about want what someone else have. Because business, it objective to keep running cost low as possible without affecting quality. Accommodating dietary requirement make harder to do that. My fees = my service, my program, my menu. If someone want/need different, it up to them to provide. I not incurring extra cost that not considered in my fees. It make no sense to incur that cost for all children but it make no sense to provide alternative meal either.

Parent want/need soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, instead of regular milk or any other substitution, they have provide it, here.

Starting to feel at home...
    If the child has celiac disease then another thing to keep in mind is items like play dough. You can make your own gluten free play dough though.

Shy
    Celiac does not just cause stomach discomfort. Minor cross-contamination is not okay, it takes six weeks from their colon to recover from gluten exposure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to islander For This Useful Post: