Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    It's not really confusing. No, the cooperative won't help you fill your over 2 spaces and we can't change the laws of the land. However, should UCC come in, it will definitely be of help. 2 of the 3 main parties want UCC. Aside from that, the provincial Liberals' vision with daycare is licensed and institutional and we already see movement in that direction. For myself, I want the professional affiliation. I WANT to be licensed but am not willing to do that through the existing model. I want the professional development opportunities available through the Coop. I want further training, so I can have more expertise with special needs kids. And I want to be seen as a professional in the industry. I'm in this as a career choice....I didn't sign up for it to be home with my kids, though that was a perk. This is my chosen field of study and I want to further that. We all want to see a provincial minimum standard applicable to everyone, to raise the bar and weed out the mediocre and illegals. I'm not content with the status quo. We all went into this job for different reasons, and the Coop will appeal to some and not others, which is fine. There are lots of us out here who DO want it, so we're pushing it forward for them, for a modernized system that includes a fair and inclusive licensing model.
    Last edited by cfred; 10-05-2015 at 07:24 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by ottawamommy View Post
    This really confuses me because I don't get how it will help us in the end. Even with 6 kids if are having such a tough time filling 3 spots 24 month+ how is a sixth child going to help if many of us cant even fill the 5 spots we already have. I am also not interested in paying anymore fees for anything. This business is tough enough, anymore income loss many of us wouldn't survive
    I totally agree with everything here!

If the co-op is formed and especially if UCC gets implemented, we may have no choice but to join in order to stay in business. If many providers begin joining the co-op, parents will wonder why an ICP is choosing not to join and I'm sure they will go for one that is a part of the co-op. With UCC, if we are not able to accept subsidized children, we will be limiting the amount of families we would be able to take on. I guess we will just have to wait and see how everything plays out!
    Last edited by lplplp; 10-05-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lplplp View Post
    I totally agree with everything here!

If the co-op is formed and especially if UCC gets implemented, we may have no choice but to join in order to stay in business. If many providers begin joining the co-op, parents will wonder why an ICP is choosing not to join and I'm sure they will go for one that is a part of the co-op. With UCC, if we are not able to accept subsidized children, we will be limiting the amount of families we would be able to take on. I guess we will just have to wait and see how everything plays out!
    See that's what I don't understand. What about providers (like myself) who are not interested in taking on subsidized children. When I first opened up my daycare I was licensed through the region and dealt with A LOT of welfare cases and I will never ever go back to that again. I am not private and will never go back to being licensed.

I have a family who currently works at McDonalds and told me that they didn't qualify for help because they made too much money so it worries me for who would actually qualify. That family struggles and has never ever had a late payment or complained about my rate increase. The issues with this province is much deeper then child care.

All I know is that I am not interested in paying anymore money for anything. We all ready have so many extra things to pay for and have a limited income. If we were able to run a business like every other one in the world where we are not limited income then that's a different story but it seems to me like the goal is to close our doors and make us struggle.

Euphoric !
    Don't forget that you can adjust your rates to absorb the fees. I would expect that everyone who joins will do that. It's also tax deductible. I think your point about parents looking to Coop affiliates is probably accurate. We already see that (to some extent) with the current agencies. However, a lot of agency care is, according to parents I've talked to, not all that awesome for the simple reason that the providers aren't left with enough money to reinvest in their businesses. I think that plays against the Agency sector's popularity. I just put together a video presentation of ICP care with submissions from all over the province. I can say that there are some amazing, AMAZING home daycares out there! Made me quite proud of our industry, actually There will always be people who think licensed is the bees knees, not really understanding the system. Once a coop is in place, and we can preserve our autonomy while bringing in the appropriate oversight, I would think parents would absolutely take that into consideration and competition will be just that much stiffer. Or I could be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    It's not really confusing. No, the cooperative won't help you fill your over 2 spaces and we can't change the laws of the land. However, should UCC come in, it will definitely be of help. 2 of the 3 main parties want UCC. Aside from that, the provincial Liberals' vision with daycare is licensed and institutional and we already see movement in that direction. For myself, I want the professional affiliation. I WANT to be licensed but am not willing to do that through the existing model. I want the professional development opportunities available through the Coop. I want further training, so I can have more expertise with special needs kids. And I want to be seen as a professional in the industry. I'm in this as a career choice....I didn't sign up for it to be home with my kids, though that was a perk. This is my chosen field of study and I want to further that. We all want to see a provincial minimum standard applicable to everyone, to raise the bar and weed out the mediocre and illegals. I'm not content with the status quo. We all went into this job for different reasons, and the Coop will appeal to some and not others, which is fine. There are lots of us out here who DO want it, so we're pushing it forward for them, for a modernized system that includes a fair and inclusive licensing model.
    Many won't see us as more "professional" because we are licensed and those who do may be brain washed. I use to be licensed and was still called a babysitter. It's that mind set of making people think that private isn't as professional as licensed when in fact I think it's the opposite.

In my area licensed home daycares are know to be worse than private because the licensed ones here are the ones who aren't up to par and need the agency to help them find clients because they can't do it them selves. There was a LICENSED provider shut down in our area because she kept children locked in the room and watch them on a baby monitor.

As for education you don't need the government for professional development you can do that on your own and you don't need them to be a professional in this industry all you need is a creative mind, love for children and a niche!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ottawamommy For This Useful Post:

Don't forget that you can adjust your rates to absorb the fees. I would expect that everyone who joins will do that. It's also tax deductible. I think your point about parents looking to Coop affiliates is probably accurate. We already see that (to some extent) with the current agencies. However, a lot of agency care is, according to parents I've talked to, not all that awesome for the simple reason that the providers aren't left with enough money to reinvest in their businesses. I think that plays against the Agency sector's popularity. I just put together a video presentation of ICP care with submissions from all over the province. I can say that there are some amazing, AMAZING home daycares out there! Made me quite proud of our industry, actually There will always be people who think licensed is the bees knees, not really understanding the system. Once a coop is in place, and we can preserve our autonomy while bringing in the appropriate oversight, I would think parents would absolutely take that into consideration and competition will be just that much stiffer. Or I could be completely wrong.
    I get what you are saying but if I keep increasing my rates how is home daycare going to be more affordable vs a center. My goal is to offer qualify child care as a low cost not to keep raising my rates. Believe is or not a family asked me if I was licensed and I said nope private and their words were "thank god" lol

Euphoric !
    Lol...I don't doubt that (re the parent being relieved that you weren't licensed). The word is starting to get around about the licensed sector. And I understand what you're saying about keeping your rates down. But I think the increase would be something like $1/day....maybe a little more, but not much. $700-$1000 spread out over a year really isn't much.

It's unfortunate that the government put us in this position...but they have. All we can do now is move forward and change with the times. I just read that they are, indeed, opening up a bunch of new institutional spaces, so the move to licensing is coming. That's my feeling. There is also a massive campaign from the childcare advocates for UCC and regulating everyone. When I say massive, I'm not exaggerating. I plan to prepare myself for that eventuality. I want the option there to be licensed. If the Cooperative doesn't get off the ground because of lack of support, that's one very nice option that you won't have and that would be a shame....and probably a regret down the road. Waiting to see how it all plays out before offering support is a short sighted notion...by the time it plays out, it may be too late and that alternative is lost and the existing agency model is all that's left. Does that make sense?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ottawamommy View Post
    See that's what I don't understand. What about providers (like myself) who are not interested in taking on subsidized children. When I first opened up my daycare I was licensed through the region and dealt with A LOT of welfare cases and I will never ever go back to that again. I am not private and will never go back to being licensed.

I have a family who currently works at McDonalds and told me that they didn't qualify for help because they made too much money so it worries me for who would actually qualify. That family struggles and has never ever had a late payment or complained about my rate increase. The issues with this province is much deeper then child care.

All I know is that I am not interested in paying anymore money for anything. We all ready have so many extra things to pay for and have a limited income. If we were able to run a business like every other one in the world where we are not limited income then that's a different story but it seems to me like the goal is to close our doors and make us struggle.
    With Universal Child Care (if it comes into effect), my understanding is that it will be just that... Universal. That means it would be for anyone regardless of income. So, not necessarily families on welfare. What I understand, is that if NDP gets elected, they want to make 1,000,000 Universal Child Care spaces at a rate of $15/day. If it is universal, the spaces should be able to be used by any family and in order to take any children that have those spaces, we would need to be licensed. This brings up a lot more questions! What I would like to know is if the UCC spaces can go to anyone regardless of income, how will they decide who gets them? 1,000,000 spaces is not enough for all of Canada. Will they give the spaces to the lower income families first? If so, then it shouldn't really be called Universal Child Care. If not, then will there be some lower income families left paying higher rates because they missed out on a UCC space? If the spaces go to lower income families first, then yes, you have a point. Many providers may not want to accept those children anyway.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong about anything!

Do parents really want us increasing our rates again?? Many providers have already done this due to Bill 10. How high can we go before parents can't even afford a home daycare? A lot of parents choose a home daycare because the cost of centres can be outrageous. My rate currently is very average, even slightly below average... When I get contacted by parents, quite a few say they can't afford my rate as it is now, especially if they have more than one child. Becoming a part of the co-op and having to increase our rates could make us have even more trouble filling our spaces. Parents think child care is too expensive as it is.

Lol...I don't doubt that (re the parent being relieved that you weren't licensed). The word is starting to get around about the licensed sector. And I understand what you're saying about keeping your rates down. But I think the increase would be something like $1/day....maybe a little more, but not much. $700-$1000 spread out over a year really isn't much.

It's unfortunate that the government put us in this position...but they have. All we can do now is move forward and change with the times. I just read that they are, indeed, opening up a bunch of new institutional spaces, so the move to licensing is coming. That's my feeling. There is also a massive campaign from the childcare advocates for UCC and regulating everyone. When I say massive, I'm not exaggerating. I plan to prepare myself for that eventuality. I want the option there to be licensed. If the Cooperative doesn't get off the ground because of lack of support, that's one very nice option that you won't have and that would be a shame....and probably a regret down the road. Waiting to see how it all plays out before offering support is a short sighted notion...by the time it plays out, it may be too late and that alternative is lost and the existing agency model is all that's left. Does that make sense?

When I say waiting to see how it plays out, I meant including the co-op... Waiting to see if the government allows it and then waiting to see what happens with UCC. Most of us aren't involved with creating the co-op so all we can do is wait and see if it comes to light and then make our decision about it.

I definitely think $700-$1000 a year is a lot!! We will have to just disagree on that point lol.