Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    CICPO is still working with the Ministry toward a cooperative. I'm on the board of directors now and attending the meetings with the MOE and Agencies. The cooperative is a very real prospect...next week is the big meeting where we present. No, we can't change the legislation. But, a Cooperative will be helpful for a number of reasons, including, potentially taking on a 6th child, professional development opportunities and, undoubtedly, the air of professionalism. I do think it will make the public look at ICPs differently. Sure, there is a price tag...there has to be. I don't find $700-$1000/yr all that bad, for what I get in return. I will absolutely join the Cooperative.
    Can we take subsidized children, if we're licensed by Coop? That's a big issue since usually that's what prevents a parent from enrolling in a home daycare that's not under any agencies - they're qualified for subsidy.

Euphoric !
    In theory, yes. Being licensed does open you up to subsidy. Subsidies are typically handled municipally, not provincially, so it adds another layer of bureaucracy to the fold and we're not sure how that will affect it.. We're having a meeting via teleconference tomorrow night. I've made a note to ask about this and will get back to you on Thursday morning. I want to leave this question to Heidi as I'm not quite as well versed in it. Okay?

Quote Originally Posted by ottawamommy View Post
    I get what you are saying but if I keep increasing my rates how is home daycare going to be more affordable vs a center. My goal is to offer qualify child care as a low cost not to keep raising my rates. Believe is or not a family asked me if I was licensed and I said nope private and their words were "thank god" lol

The way I see it, the private home daycares are slowly getting squeezed out. They're making it tougher. There are political parties who will want a universal daycare, and once that's implemented hardly any private home daycares can compete....unless we become like old-time babysitters who can be dimed away.

I think there's not that much choice left but to evolve with the times. Having said that.....does a COOP license require us to have ECE diploma before we get licensed?

Quote Originally Posted by lplplp View Post
    With Universal Child Care (if it comes into effect), my understanding is that it will be just that... Universal. That means it would be for anyone regardless of income. So, not necessarily families on welfare. What I understand, is that if NDP gets elected, they want to make 1,000,000 Universal Child Care spaces at a rate of $15/day. If it is universal, the spaces should be able to be used by any family and in order to take any children that have those spaces, we would need to be licensed. This brings up a lot more questions! What I would like to know is if the UCC spaces can go to anyone regardless of income, how will they decide who gets them? 1,000,000 spaces is not enough for all of Canada. Will they give the spaces to the lower income families first? If so, then it shouldn't really be called Universal Child Care. If not, then will there be some lower income families left paying higher rates because they missed out on a UCC space? If the spaces go to lower income families first, then yes, you have a point. Many providers may not want to accept those children anyway.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong about anything!
    I predict that 1,000,000 spaces is just the start.
    NDP is most likely trying to appear prudent and maybe not want to scare off voters with a humongous price tag.

I won't be surprised if in the near future, there'll be a platform that will push for total universal daycare in the next round of election.
    Last edited by betsy; 10-06-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Euphoric !
    No, Betsy, the coop will not require you to have an ECE diploma. In fact, none of the the founders had them. I do, but not everyone does. We are simply ICPs supporting ICPs. We value dedication to the profession and quality thereof.

Regarding UCC. I wouldn't spend too much time panicking about that right now. Mulcair is slipping in the polls and he also needs all the provinces to kick in 40% of the cost of his plan. Ontario and BC have already said no. For some reason, I remember Alberta (although NDP) digging in their heels. I believe they said they can afford $25/day, but that's as far as their numbers could carry them....I just can't find the article, so running off memory. Now, of course, we don't know how much of Ontario and BC is political posturing. But, even still, we know the money isn't there. And I'm pretty sure the poorer provinces like PEI, Newfoundland, etc won't be able to foot the bill either. Even if it does come in, it's going to take time. But CICPO wants to have the Coop up and running either with or without UCC. It's our view that ICPs could benefit from a larger body supporting them, should they wish it. So far as the Coop going through...we can't say for sure at this point, but we did find out today that one of the larger agencies that was represented at the meeting, has approached some providers with a new model....a model very similar to one we developed months ago. Needless to say, we're thrilled that they've done a complete turnaround and embraced our idea as, clearly, it means it's viable. So, sit tight....we'll know more soon.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by betsy View Post
    Can we take subsidized children, if we're licensed by Coop? That's a big issue since usually that's what prevents a parent from enrolling in a home daycare that's not under any agencies - they're qualified for subsidy.
    As it stands, subsidies are handled by the municipalities, thereby adding another layer to the regulations and administration. It will be up to each Chapter to determine whether or not it will pursue subsidies. Though we haven't worked out all the details yet, this will, I would think, be determined by need in each area. We realize that some areas are heavy with clients requiring subsidies and some are not at all. Some towns and cities will need it, some won't.