Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Could there be changes to the CCEYA?

This could be a stupid question... I think I'm just clinging onto a little bit of hope! With the Child Care and Early Years act in effect, I have been seeing and experiencing a lot of issues. All the issues we all knew would come about when the new law was implemented.... Parents not being able to find a spot for their one year old, providers not being able to fill their 'over 2' spots, etc. I was wondering if there are any groups/providers that are still trying to fight for us? Is there any chance the new act could still be changed?? Now that these problems are happening, is there a slight chance the government will see what has happened and amend the CCEYA?

My understanding is that it came into full effect August 31,2015. And no more changes will be made

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

I figured there was probably no hope. Thought I'd ask just in case there was something going on I didn't know about. I feel so bad for the parents that can't find a spot for their baby or have to split up their kids and have them attend different daycares

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lplplp For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    CICPO is working on a co-operative type agency model and are meeting with the Ministry this month. This type of agency would allow us to remain independent but with the advantage of a licensed agency at a much lower cost than Wee Watch etc.

Euphoric !
    CCPRN here in Ottawa is also involved in the meetings with the ministry. It does sound like the ministry is finally listening and realizing the quality of programs available in ICP homes. As to changes in the act that is not likely going to be anything that would make it easier for us. If anything they will gradually bring in stronger restrictions but also remember there is a very good chance the liberals will get voted out of the next election and the new government might then be persuaded to make changes and especially if there is a crisis as we suspect will be happening.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jodaycare View Post
    CICPO is working on a co-operative type agency model and are meeting with the Ministry this month. This type of agency would allow us to remain independent but with the advantage of a licensed agency at a much lower cost than Wee Watch etc.
    I am aware of this. Personally, I'm not sure if I really like the idea. It won't change the laws. If the CCEYA stays as is, parents will still have difficulty finding a space for their one year old whether we are licensed or not. The fee for the co-op may be less than the current agency model, but still a pretty hefty fee to pay in my opinion. If Universal Child Care comes into effect, the co-op would probably be beneficial so we can accept subsidized children. Other than having UCC, I'm not sure about needing a co-operative agency.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    CCPRN here in Ottawa is also involved in the meetings with the ministry. It does sound like the ministry is finally listening and realizing the quality of programs available in ICP homes. As to changes in the act that is not likely going to be anything that would make it easier for us. If anything they will gradually bring in stronger restrictions but also remember there is a very good chance the liberals will get voted out of the next election and the new government might then be persuaded to make changes and especially if there is a crisis as we suspect will be happening.
    I will keep my fingers crossed!!!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by lplplp View Post
    I am aware of this. Personally, I'm not sure if I really like the idea. It won't change the laws. If the CCEYA stays as is, parents will still have difficulty finding a space for their one year old whether we are licensed or not. The fee for the co-op may be less than the current agency model, but still a pretty hefty fee to pay in my opinion. If Universal Child Care comes into effect, the co-op would probably be beneficial so we can accept subsidized children. Other than having UCC, I'm not sure about needing a co-operative agency.
    Yep, it won't help the daycare crisis but it might allow us to take a 6th child into care like the agency homes are allowed. I am not sure if I will consider the co-op model either, I have been in business for over 20 years without incident, I don't need the help of an RECE to run my daycare, I am an ECE. Our only hope of changes is to kick the Liberals out of power in 2018.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    CICPO is still working with the Ministry toward a cooperative. I'm on the board of directors now and attending the meetings with the MOE and Agencies. The cooperative is a very real prospect...next week is the big meeting where we present. No, we can't change the legislation. But, a Cooperative will be helpful for a number of reasons, including, potentially taking on a 6th child, professional development opportunities and, undoubtedly, the air of professionalism. I do think it will make the public look at ICPs differently. Sure, there is a price tag...there has to be. I don't find $700-$1000/yr all that bad, for what I get in return. I will absolutely join the Cooperative.

This really confuses me because I don't get how it will help us in the end. Even with 6 kids if are having such a tough time filling 3 spots 24 month+ how is a sixth child going to help if many of us cant even fill the 5 spots we already have. I am also not interested in paying anymore fees for anything. This business is tough enough, anymore income loss many of us wouldn't survive

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ottawamommy For This Useful Post: