Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Can some explain Quebec $7.40 daycare system. Lot of questions.

The NDP is promising $15 a day child care to parent over period of years nationally. I speak to my NDP representative early this morning for better understanding of what it mean and where funding come from.

He very unclear about much of it but going to find out.

He said "Mr McNeil has not committed to providing this yet. 6 province say they are interesting in looking at proposal and 4 not responded either way. Like Health Care, it will be administered at provincial level despite being National scheme. It will mirror Quebec system except it being $15 a day not Quebec rate which lower."

I know this for regulated daycare places.

I trying understand what restriction on regulated dayhome in Quebec. I think someone said not allowed to have notice period in contract. I think parent in Quebec say they not allowed choose carer and must go where space is told.

Is daycare fee in regulated care capped at set fee?
    What happen when cost of supplies increase and need to up fees?
    Who pay for difference in fees less parent contribution at set amount?
    How long before government paid part of fees get given to provider? In advance? In arrears?
    How many children can regulated provider have?
    Do own count in those numbers? Until what age?

What happen in private (unregulated) day home in Quebec?
    Is unregulated dayhome allowed?
    Do parent pay all bill?
    Do they get refund from government so all parent only pay $7.40 even in private dayhome?
    Is number of children/ratio same?

Hoping someone here in Quebec can explain because I not understand and so hard to know what my MP mean when he say it will mirror Quebec system.

Thank you

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    No worries of ndp winning

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandylynn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I hope your right sandylynn. The $15 a day daycare is the exact reason I am not voting NDP

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I hope your right sandylynn. The $15 a day daycare is the exact reason I am not voting NDP
    Exactly my thoughts.

Euphoric !
    Can someone please explain system in Quebec? It would be useful for me to have fact when meet MP later this week. I see what it will mean to taxpayer but need better understand what NDP say will be mirrored.

Is any forum person in Quebec?

Outgoing
    I think kindertime is in Quebec.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Parents pay 7$ gov pays rest to daycare agency then agency pays the caregiver once a mth which I think is 28$. Fees don't raise to accommodate rising supply costs, etc. Only licences dayhomes can accept the 7$ a day parents they can not have some and some private where they pay a different fee set by caregiver. They are regulated and can have 6 kids under age 9 included their own under 5 I think. They can have up to 9 kids actually but if they go over 6 then they need to have an assistant. U can be private in Quebec and have 6 kids also but you can not accept the 7$ a day families. U need to set ur own rates and the family pays the rates directly to the provider
    Last edited by babydom; 10-07-2015 at 12:04 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by babydom View Post
    Parents pay 7.40$ gov pays rest to caregiver once a mth which I think is 28$. Only licences dayhomes can accept the 7.40$ a day parents they can not have some and some private where they pay a different fee set by caregiver. They are regulated and can have 6 kids under age 9 included their own under 5 I think. U can be private in Quebec and have 6 kids also but you can not accept the 7.40$ a day families. U need to set ur own rates and the family pays the rates directly to the provider
    So if regulated, can only accept $7.40 fee client and government pays rest.
    Is the fee $28 from government plus $7.40 from parent - Or $28 minus $7.40 from parent?
    What if business cost go up? Does provider have to absorb extra cost of business?

If unregulated, can parent claim back the fee they paid to provider less $7.40 a day?
    What average day care fee for unregulated/private dayhome?

Is true that parent in regulated care have no choice to provider?
    Is true that provider with regulated dayhome not allowed notice period from client?

Is charge to carer to be regulated?

I made some changes in my post.....The parent pays the 7$ to the caregiver. Then once a mth the daycare agency pays the rest to caregiver which is 28$. So they make like 35$ a day per child. The fees don't change to accommodate rising supply costs, etc. in private unregulated daycare the parent pays fee set out by provider they aren't not allowed to get difference back so they only pay 7$ a day. Private is anywhere from 25-35$ a day. I didn't hear or know about not choosing a daycare or no notice given.

I've also heard ratios are actually no more then 4 kids under age 12 including your own. So not sure which one it is. Because I'm so close to the border I've read up on their laws and some I read one thing some I read other. Or I ask around and this is what I am told sorry I'm not much help. U are in Quebec? Or you just want to know?