Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Transition week before FT care

I have a family starting in 2 weeks, with 2 kids: 12m old and a toddler who's 3 in Nov).

I am offering a transition week for the baby the week before official staet date. Do you think ite necessary to include the toddler that week? (keep in mind its my only fam right now and mom leaves 3 houses down). I'd like to focus on the baby as my own 2 yr old is with me. Do you have a transition week for toddlers?

Question: baby naps both morning and afternoon. Her nap schedule will change once she starts here with me for times. Does anyone have a transition plan for the week before? I know some do 3 days that week and others 4. I'm looking for how long on day 1, etc... Want to give mom a breakdown this week.

Thanks all!

Euphoric !
    I would do the toddler too. Depending on the toddler and whether they were in prior care they may have a harder time adjusting than a 12month old.

Transition needs to be daily otherwise it is just harder on the kids. If you plan to do a week of transition I would do 5 days of care. Day one: 2hrs first thing in morning. Day 2 half day leaving before lunch. Day 3 half day leaving after lunch. Day 4 stay and go right after nap. Day 5 a full day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh, and depending on your preference either charge a full weeks pay (you are tied down for the full week) or charge half days for the shorter days and full days for the days that include nap.

Euphoric !
    I used to do transition days/week but soon realized it was those kids that took longer to FULLY transition into our program. Throwing them right into our routine, they are usually fine within the first week. (Of course, there are always exceptions!) The only time I do transitions now is when a parent really really wants one. They are usually fine with not having one after I explain my reasons and observations with past children. When I do transitions, I do half days every day with them going home after lunch but before nap.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

I longer offer transitions either. The child learns quick that right before nap mom comes. Or right after nap mom comes. Throws everything off. So now I offer a full wk, full day the wk before mom goes back to work. On the first day I allow mom to come in for 30-60 mins then leaves. Every day is full and reg daycare schedule. But if I absoutelty need to call mom I don't feel bad doing it because she is home that wk. also the families love this way as it gives mom a whole wk to her self. Get stuff ready for work, clean house, errands etc. has worked great for me! No complaints from families.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I allow 3 mornings to transition, then full time. I charge full rate for those 3 mornings too

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Thx!
    Those who do half days (mornings) do you have them drop off regular time, leave child to nap for morning and pick up before lunch, or after lunch? Mom right now has baby on an entirely diff nap schedule. Don't think she plans on changing it until she starts. Also, how about her older sibling who's almost 3? Should he come for the mornings as well?

If they are starting in 2 weeks she should have switched the nap schedule 2 months ago ! I would do 2 hours one day 2.5 the second and half day for the third. I would do the same with the sibling. I find that older kids can be harder to transition than younger.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ottawamommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I usually do 8-12:30 for 3 days. Do both children, not just 1.

Yes sleep schedule should have been changed at home a month ago. Sadly most parents just stay with theirs. This is why transition should be limited. You need to get switched over to your schedule and fast

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

@mickyc: are your 3 days together or broken up? ie, Mon, Wed and Fri sort of thing.