Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I don't allow it. Kids act differently with others here and I feel uncomfortable being watched. I have only ever had 1 family ask. I said no. The kids were here just a few weeks, one kid went home with a scratch from another child on his neck and they gave their notice. That's just too overprotective for group care IMO.

If a family wants to just leave child for a few hours a few days at the beginning that's fine (while paying full rate) but no they cannot stay.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by crayolamom View Post
    I do not understand the logic here. So because I don't want strangers around my children, my self and daycare children we shouldn't be doing daycare? Not likely if parents want to keep tabs which I know MANY do then go to a centre with cameras. I am not a 12 year old babysitter that needs checking up on. I keep my business very professional and do not befriend my clients for me that is a no no.
    This can be a tricky business and IMO, it involves some balance. Yes, this is my home and that is always my first thought BUT it is also a business during the day. IMO, part of being a business includes making clients feel comfortable. Would I allow clients in my house alone, no but they do feel comfortable coming into my home and know that there's nothing dangerous or weird going on when they're not here.

I do feel that if safety is a huge concern and are worried about strangers coming in, than having a home based business might not be the right fit. Families are going to be strangers for a period of time and even after we get to know them, they can still do the unexpected. If one isn't comfortable with that, than working in a centre might be better. Same goes for parents...if they're worried about you bringing strangers in, than centre based might be better because there is no way you can guarantee that a family (new or old) isn't going to do something crazy. (And when you need to fill a spot, of course they're going to be strangers for awhile) Centres can't guarantee this either but at least there is more than one adult present should anything terrible happen.

I don't befriend my clients outside of work either so not sure if that was directed towards me?
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 10-13-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    This can be a tricky business and IMO, it involves some balance. Yes, this is my home and that is always my first thought BUT it is also a business during the day. IMO, part of being a business includes making clients feel comfortable. Would I allow clients in my house alone, no but they do feel comfortable coming into my home and know that there's nothing dangerous or weird going on when they're not here.

I do feel that if safety is a huge concern and are worried about strangers coming in, than having a home based business might not be the right fit. Families are going to be strangers for a period of time and even after we get to know them, they can still do the unexpected. If one isn't comfortable with that, than working in a centre might be better. Same goes for parents...if they're worried about you bringing strangers in, than centre based might be better because there is no way you can guarantee that a family (new or old) isn't going to do something crazy. (And when you need to fill a spot, of course they're going to be strangers for awhile) Centres can't guarantee this either but at least there is more than one adult present should anything terrible happen.

I don't befriend my clients outside of work either so not sure if that was directed towards me?
    While I understand this, I disagree to a degree.
    I don't allow parent visits during daycare hours for the safety of myself, my business and my daycare children.
    If a parent is here with a full house:
    1. My full attention is not on my job. Plain and simple.
    2. Insurance: My liability insurance company would not be happy with me allowing another adult access to my home & my enrolled children.
    3. Other parents would not be comfortable with another adult who does not have a background check (which where I live, it is required) in my home with their children... for all the reasons above PLUS, there are too many variables.
    If I had to change a child's diaper, I'm leaving that adult alone with the kids. Yes, if something bad is going to happen, it may happen regardless (as stated above), but there are other things to consider.
    When a parent chooses me, they usually agree with my parenting style, my disciplining style, and my overall sense of who I am as a caregiver. Even giving another (new) parent two minutes alone with the children opens them up to someone else's sense of parenting; what they say to children and how they act to children reflects on ME. I hope I'm explaining this the way I intended to... ultimately, they are NOT me, and should not be an influence to other daycare children when they have not been authorized by the other parents TO BE an influence during the day.

I do understand having apprehensions as a new client. I also understand the concept of providers interviewing during daycare hours to have transparency. I just personally don't do business that way for the reasons above.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowmom For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you everyone for your awesome impute! I have thought about this and I really do not feel comfortable with allowing other strangers in my home, it just doesn't sit well and if it feels weird I usually just trust that. I do not be friend my clients either as I like to keep this at a professional level and even 6 months or a year down the road they will still be strangers to me because I will never know these people other then what I know at pick up and drop off.

The insurance was an amazing point and I called to double check and I actually wouldn't be allowed to have another parent in the home. If by any chance the ministry came to inspect me while another parent was in my home I don't know how that would play out.

Euphoric !
    There is no wrong or right way to do this. Like said, it's totally what you're comfortable with!

For myself, I'm only allowed 4 children so I usually only have 3-4 children at a time....totally manageable even if they do act up. The way my dc is set up, the other parent wouldn't be alone with the children. Even if I'm in the room though, they are still able to say something that I might not. Same goes for when we go out to play dates, play groups, mall, restaurants etc. again, just my opinion, but that is too much bubble wrapping for me and isn't my style so my current families know that already

It's all about calculated risks and will be different for everyone