Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Watch out for fraud !

To whom this may concern,

I received an email about childcare for a couple who would be coming to Canada from the UK for a Christian Missionary trip. They would be bringing their Son “Peter” with them and would be requiring childcare for him for the month of December.

I told them that I could do the service, and quoted them my service fee. They told me that they would have their Christian Sponsor send me my fee, plus their air ticketing fees. That I would cash the certified cheque and send them the difference via Western Union to their “Travel Agent”.

When I declined doing this, I have not received another email from them.

I would like to make you aware, that what they were wanting me to do was a fraud! They were going to send me a phony cheque, get me to cash it, and forward the difference of the money. Then the cheque would bounce and I would be out that money.

Just want people to be aware and be careful when dealing with odd requests like this one!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Stacey

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fun Litt'l Monkeyz For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks for sharing.... this type of fraud is RAMPANT on other websites for selling items (Kijiji, E-bay, etc). My sis in law almost got taken.
    Ugh...

Outgoing
    I got this exact email a few months back too! I didn't reply as the email just seemed wrong to me on a few different levels.

Outgoing
    I got one very similar a few months back. Man was looking for daycare for his 2 children, coming from a different country to relocated. His request was that I send each of his children a toy that he would chose so that they would 'like' me when they got here. He 'suggested' I send his son a DSI complete with a couple games and his daughter some barbie thing that was like $60. Upon receipt of such toys he would reimburse me the money I spent. As if! I quickly told him that I would be forwarding his information to the authorities if he ever tried to contact me again. Hopefully if we all keep posting these scam artists will be caught!

jec
    I also have got a weird request of someone wanting me to look after their 2 children- he would have a car drop them off and pick them up and he would wire me money every month. I just responded that the position was filled. Strange people out there for sure!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Also be aware of PayPal scams where they send you an email, very official looking from PayPal, with money transferred. It's fake!!! Always check your PayPal account directly and NEVER click on any links from those emails.
    ~~Proud Mama and Owner/Operator of Cutie Pie Daycare~~

Expansive...
    Be aware that if you do cash the cheque and then it bounces, you have to pay NSF fees and if the exchange rate has changed from the time the cheque is cashed to the time it bounces, you may be out even more money

Oh these scams are not just from this site - I have had people contact me through my website for daycare with similar 'shady' scenerio - like they do not even know which CITY they are coming to in on their 'trip to your great country of Canada'

This is not only done in the childcare sector there are other variations of the same scam - I have gotten one for my other home based business as well where they want to place a LARGE order and than say they do not have a 'credit card' instead they will pay for it using a 'money order' which you assume is SAFE but the trick being they send you one for too much money and well that's ok just send me the difference in a cheque or EMT ... meanwhile their money order turns out to be 'fraudulent' and the cheque you sent them is cashed the name an 'alias' used just for these scams
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by michellesmunchkins View Post
    I got one very similar a few months back. Man was looking for daycare for his 2 children, coming from a different country to relocated. His request was that I send each of his children a toy that he would chose so that they would 'like' me when they got here. He 'suggested' I send his son a DSI complete with a couple games and his daughter some barbie thing that was like $60. Upon receipt of such toys he would reimburse me the money I spent. As if! I quickly told him that I would be forwarding his information to the authorities if he ever tried to contact me again. Hopefully if we all keep posting these scam artists will be caught!
    I got this one too. I didn't fall for it at all. That was about 2 years ago too. Can't believe the guy is still at it.

Outgoing
    I also sell scrapbooking supplies in my studio, and a number of us who sell for the same company get huge orders from someone who doesn't use a credit care, but will send a certified cheque. I haven't fallen for it, but some who have, claim that the next step is the cheque arrives in the wrong amount, and the customer requests that the difference be wired back to her. Needless to say, the cheque is a fake.