Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Taxes. Do you do your own or have them done for you?

Hi ladies.

Hope everyone enjoyed their thanksgiving and the extra day off daycare!

I've been running home daycare for a number of years now and have always used an accountant. I find she is rather pricey (around $500) and myself have university knowledge of the basics of accounting. Seeing as she breaks it all down in my tax booklet each year for me to see how much she claims ect. is it crazy for me to try and do it myself? Do any of you do it yourselves? any tips or suggestions? I am VERY ocd organized with my logging of expenses each year and keep any and all of my receipts for items purchased and groceries ect... I give receipts for all my parents and any money that is received for the children here, I suppose my worry is that i will be audited if i do it on my own. Is it worth the protection of an accountant in this field of work? This was my main purpose of using an accountant up until now.

thanks in advance for any help/tips

Euphoric !
    For myself I would never do it myself. We have a great accountant and personally I think there is just too much of a risk on missing things, not using the right percentages etc. I also like that if I am audited it is them dealing with the auditors not me. I pay $500 for my taxes and my husbands. To me it's worth it.

I am very detailed and organized too but have no idea on what percentage is used for my vehicle, capital expenses, home repairs. I give totals and then they figure out the rest.
    Last edited by mickyc; 10-14-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Expansive...
    I have always used an accountant. I'm afraid I'd miss some write offs, not for the regular business ones, but our claims as a family etc. About $500 for 2 adults and the business.

Euphoric !
    A few years ago I found an amazing accountant who is semi-retired so I pay an incredibly low fee for her to do mine. However, when she fully retires, I am considering learning how to do mine. She's been great at telling me over the years things here and there and answers any questions I have. I would still need to take a course but it's something I think that is totally doable if you want to learn.

I think if you feel confident that you know what to do than I'd give it a try! You can always go back to hiring someone if you don't like it!!

does anybody have a contact for a daycare related accountant in the Ottawa region?

My mom has a daycare and has had one for over 30yrs now. She always did her own taxes and she now does mine. Hers for over 30 years and mine for 6yrs. No problems yet

Outgoing
    I used an accountant once and he totally screwed me around. I have done my own since, I use Turbo Tax for Home and Business and it is so easy. Oh an I have been in business for more than 20 years and never been audited. If you keep everything status quo from year to year, there are no red flags

Outgoing
    I do all my own taxes. My mom made sure that I knew how to do taxes when I was 18 and starting working. She always did theirs with the farm and everything and she still does them now. I use Turbo Tax too. But you don't need to spend the $100 for the Business one, just the standard will do, they have all the same forms. I made the mistake od buying the basic this year but had to upgrade 1 step.

If you have never done your taxes before and don't understand the basic principles of how it is all calculated, it might just be too much to try and do it yourself. But if you have someone who understands it and can help you through, that might help. If you are seriously thinking of doing it yourself, buy the turbox tax software now, it will be for 2014, but whatever, familiarize yourself with it. You won't know until you try it!

I do mine through Turbo Tax. I have financial knowledge, but still I don't think it is that difficult. The only tricky part could be depreciation of larger items carried over following years, but Turbo Tax has great support that I think they could even help you with this.

You can also pay and extra fee there so in case you are audited someone there represents you