Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Piercing scream; advice?

18 month old boy....very busy (climber) and destructive....I am correcting behavior with a firm 'no' and I walk away. Child immediately has a piercing yell/cry (no tears) for about 10 minutes every time I say 'no' (Same child who I have weaned off soother at daycare). This has been going on for 9 weeks now. Thoughts on a different strategy that may work (I walk away and ignore it but....my poor head and the scream!). Parent states they pop the soother in when he does that at home, but I do not want to go back to soother.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Time out. He'll quickly learn he doesn't get to play if he's going to scream like that. He doesn't get up till he's done

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Great advice, I'll try it.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    I have two that scream if someone takes their toy or gets in their way on the bikes. I just firmly say no screaming, use your words an d if they continue they get a time out.

Euphoric !
    Playpen off in a corner. Tell him when he screams he sits in the playpen until he stops. Every single time he does it pop him in the playpen.

If he naps in a playpen for you then try a high chair or other place that is not fun. At 18months I am not convinced he'd just sit in a time out spot...but if he would then awesome!

It is definitely an issue of not being able to self soothe without the soother. He is upset from the correction, I completely get that. Any other child would sulk or, at worse, perhaps tear up for a second....but this child starts screaming as though I have done something so terrible and cannot quiet himself for what seems like an eternity when a child is screaming that high pitch. I have pulled out an unused playpen to set up in the room off the daycare playroom to pop him in (& remove once he stops crying); it'll give us all a little space from the noise

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    It is definitely an issue of not being able to self soothe without the soother. He is upset from the correction, I completely get that. Any other child would sulk or, at worse, perhaps tear up for a second....but this child starts screaming as though I have done something so terrible and cannot quiet himself for what seems like an eternity when a child is screaming that high pitch. I have pulled out an unused playpen to set up in the room off the daycare playroom to pop him in (& remove once he stops crying); it'll give us all a little space from the noise
    Unfortunately in a group setting some times the best you can do is remove one child (safely) so the others are still enjoying their day. If you can think of some ways to teach him to self sooth it might help. Not once the screaming had started...once he starts remove him. But find some books about it or point out what other children are doing to self sooth etc., while he is calm and receptive.