Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Home Daycare vs Licensed Daycare

Can you make around the same amount of money if you set up a decent home daycare in Ontario as compared to working at a licensed daycare setting who pays you just $2 above minimum wage as an RECE?

Euphoric !
    Depends where you are. Type in your postal code on the home page here to see what daycare's in your area charge per day and that will give you a starting point.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would note the biggest consideration is that when you work at a centre your paycheck starts in full day one.

With home daycare it can take upwards of a year to fill all your spaces. So you still put in a full work week but you may only have 1-2 paying children for a long period.

Right now with the changes in Ontario (Bill 10) you would likely immediately fill your two under age 2 spaces but it would be a longer wait to fill the three remaining spaces for ages 2+

Because there are so many home daycares in most areas you really need to be competitive to draw the families in...being a brand new home daycare does not work to your advantage so it can take a bit longer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Also, don't forget there are expenses, too. You might bring in $50/day x 4 kids, but from that $200 you have to pay for all supplies, and probably food, unless parents bring it. You'll have to pay extra for your electricity, water use, wear and tear on the house in general. And, starting new, you'll likely have some advertising costs too. Also the office expenses, paper and ink for printing contracts and the like. Will you have an accountant? You'll pay that person. It is all deductable on your taxes, so that's good, but it is coming out of your pocket. Personally, I would never try to go back to working in a center. I had a very short lived experience in one, and I was miserable!! IMO, the extra time and expense is totally worth it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Go for it Happy hugs and you won't have to wait for 2 Buses any more LOL
    I was making good money in a lic Daycare as a head supervisor but I love being my own boss and relying on myself to get things done - but I do miss the sick days and the Long holidays in the summer as I use to have up to 6 weeks off in the year as holidays and just calling a sub when I was sick- miss that too but now I would not go back and my money is better too LOL

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

I also say go for it. Say some $$ as you might not fill 5 spots right away......but defiantly get out of that centre and be your own boss.....do it!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I can't speak for the money since I'm in MB but I do make more now than when I worked in centres.

However, the biggest benefit of opening a hdc vs staying at a centre is that I am MUCH HAPPIER!!! Priceless!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: