Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Winter Transportation for Bus Drop off's

I have one family I care for (Teacher) ages 12m, 3 and 4.5 (he is before/after school), plus my own 2 year old. Now I am stuck walking all the kids to and from the bus stop which is 192 metres away to be exact (uphill). The older 2 can walk solo as well as my daughter (she will need to hold my hand tho) so I am looking for ideas how to transport the baby in the winter? I do not baby wear, so not an option. My stroller is MY stroller for my daughter and it's not equipped for winter weather. Mom has a basic stroller as well not equipped for winter. We live just outside Ottawa, no sidewalks etc. How on earth can I make this possible?!

When I accepted the school aged child the bus stop was originally in front of my house and is no longer so I am not prepared and a little "stressed" thinking about this. I would term him, but again, I have the siblings and mom pretty much threatened to pull them all out if needed to keep them all together and I have a mortgage and mouths to feed so here we are.... any tips? I don't want to invest into anything, because come June I am closing my daycare.

Euphoric !
    A 12month old should be easy to pull in a sled. get one with a waist strap and higher sides (shouldn't cost more than $20new). Bundle her up and strap her in. Get one (or add your own) with a pull string that is extra long and can go around your waist for up hill!

I would also look at a double sled for your daughter if you can manage a bit more weight. But it should glide easily enough.

Euphoric !
    Also, have YOU tried calling the bus company to inquire as to the change in location? Maybe present your position to see if they will change it. The parent may not have tried in your favor since it really doesn't effect them.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Do you know anyone that you could borrow a stroller from? One that's more all-terrain and easier to push in the winter?

Otherwise, I second the sled suggestion as well as calling the bus company.

Outgoing
    You don't exactly specify what kind of road you're talking about. I live in the country, and would never take my kids on the road, summer or winter. With no sidewalk, we would be right on the road. If your vehicle was big enough, you might do well asking for the parent to supply you with car seats for the children. And then just drive to the bus stop. The alternative is being on the road when a big truck comes by, or... the snowplow. That's dangerous, even with a stroller.

Get a wagon off kijiji. Most are cheap and most go threw snow well because ur pulling it not pushing

yep, I have a big radio flyer red wagon, and it is great in snow (for the most part)
    I got it off kijiji about 10 years ago for $60, best money I ever spent!