Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

3 year old talking about "killing"

So a have a concerned parent, asking me why her three year old has been talking about killing lately. She goes on to say that she "doesnt see any disturbing or violence in her house" so she thinks she must be picking it up here. Although I do agree that group care, includes having our kids exposed to issues and situations that we might not be prepared to deal with, I totally disagree wih the notion that this is the only place she would hear or be exposed to the idea if "killing" I know for a fact that this little one has watched a lot of Disney movies, and I happened to think they are full of violence (both directly and subtle). I also happen to believe that kids pick up on things when we watch or listen to the news, even if they appear to be uninterested. On top of that adult conversation is constantly overheard, and although they may not understand the meaning, they certainly pick up words and ideas (for example,"The Liberals killed the Conservatives in this last election")
    On top of that I am prone to believe that humans are violent and agressive inately, and that is does not need to be taught. For example, the way I see three years olds talk to their baby dolls, would make one wonder where they learn that?!?
    Anyways, I need to address this as politically correct as I can, any suggestions?
    BTW, there is no TV, movies , video games or toy weapons here at daycare, HOWEVER I know that kids will use anything they can as a weapon, and play make believe some pretty dark ideas, its not always cupcakes and rainbows. I also know that some simple stories and songs are actually really "violent" for example I have a book, about monkey teasing a crocodile, the crocodile goes SNAP and one by one the monkeys disappear.....in the end the monkeys are just hiding, but their mommy tells them to never tease a crocodile....

Euphoric !
    I agree with you.

I would just tell the mom that you have no toy weapons, tv etc at daycare but that during group care, children are exposed to lots of imaginations. You will watch and listen for any concerning play/talk and put a stop to it when you can.

Euphoric !
    The child only had to hear the word once to be using it. Obviously it makes sense the parent is concerned and is wondering in what capacity the child came up with the concept. I think we would all be asking these questions if it were our child.

As mentioned state there is no tv in your daycare, you do not have any toy weapons etc. Ensure her you will monitor their play to see if you can pinpoint where the topic of killing has originated from and try to slip in that it is as simple as hearing it on the car radio, or over hearing the news etc. Maybe do this by noting that children this age naturally re-enact what they see and hear in a means to understand it so it could have been as simple as watching a Disney movie or hearing the news in the car.

By trying to naturally slip this in the parent may realize that even though their child doesn't sit and play violent video games they may indeed be exposing the child to this concept.

And yes, Disney is seriously violent!! I hadn't seen any movies in years and put one on while on mat leave and I remember sitting there rather shocked at how violent they are...and how I totally did not remember any of that from growing up watching so many movies!!

So true. i cant even watch the hunchback of notra dame. when the priest dude is sings the song hells fire, i had to turn it off. Bambie, Fox and the Hound, Hell even Sleeping beauty..... they are just really sad.

Expansive...
    yes even Snow White and the poison red apple and running into the forest from the Killer !!! it is a wonder we are not all talking about killing LOL
    for yourself I would suggest making a note in a notebook of when and where she says it and how she looks and document all the times she says this word as it is so disturbing that a 3 year year old is saying this
    Last edited by Van; 10-23-2015 at 04:53 PM.