So I hired an assistant 2 mornings a week because I am pregnant and wanted to have coverage for OB appts etc. I also thought it would be helpful to have an extra set of hands the bigger I got. Well, I lost one client to an over seas move and another family has spoken to me about the possibility of a spot opening for their son at a centre before Christmas (I am closing in Feb so they are all looking for alternative care). The less kids I have, the less need I have for her or finances to pay for her.

I really don't find I need her aside from appts however have to offer her enough hours for her to stick around. She seems fine to be alone with the kids if I have an appt but she seems to want me there helping her if I don't. For example, today I left her with the kids so I could so some cleaning, cooking and banking. I don't feel I should have to explain to her what I have to do and I think she should just deal with things as they arise. Instead, She called me after 10 mins because a kid fell and cut their lip. It was no big deal and I wish she just would have dealt with it. I told her he was fine and I had work to finish.

My other pregnancies were considered high risk because of a preesisiting medical condition. By the 2nd baby they weren't really concerned and now #3, they have no concerns. I did get Cholestatsis (my liver stops working properly while pregnant) with the other 2 babies that made me have additional ultrasounds to monitor things ad I was induced at 38 wks. This time around, that hasn't become an issue so far.

I guess I'm curious about how often someone with a "normal" pregnancy sees their Dr. and what I should do about my assistant? Should I let her go at Christmas and just close the daycare for any future OB appts? Not sure if my daycare families could manage this as my one family has zero family in Canada. My assistant made it clear she would not stick around if I decreased her hours. Another option is to keep her and have a conversation about what is expected of her and use the time she is here to relax, do my other household work or attend appts.