Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Maternity leave - how long to take - what to charge?

Hi! I am due december 6th and am not quite sure how long of a leave i should take from my dayhome. I have given a rough estimate to my parents but have not yet given an exact number of days. What is the average mat leave for dayhome providers. Do you charge the parent to hold the spot if they want to come back? I have never done this before so i need all the help i can get!

Euphoric !
    My understanding is that most providers will take 4-6 wks and have their spouses that paternity leave to help out afterwards.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I hear many on here do about 6weeks off then have the kids back while their husband cares for the new baby. I think this would vary so greatly on the provider. Whether it is first born or a later born child, how the delivery and recovery goes and mostly personality of the provider.

I do not think it would be all that fair to charge the parents for the time you are closed to hold their spot. The fact that they are finding alternative care for numerous weeks so they can return is HUGE. To make them pay on top of that would likely send them all looking for alternative care.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    I hear many on here do about 6weeks off then have the kids back while their husband cares for the new baby. I think this would vary so greatly on the provider. Whether it is first born or a later born child, how the delivery and recovery goes and mostly personality of the provider.

I do not think it would be all that fair to charge the parents for the time you are closed to hold their spot. The fact that they are finding alternative care for numerous weeks so they can return is HUGE. To make them pay on top of that would likely send them all looking for alternative care.
    I wonder if she meant, holding their deposit, not charging a fee?

For me, I'm just going to take my paid two wk holidays when I deliver. If not in the summer, then anytime I take off in the summer it would be unpaid because i already used the paid holidays. I might hire an assistant to help me after but if I heal fine I won't.

Euphoric !
    I don't think charging parent to hold spot is wise. That mean they paying you and paying for where child being cared for while you off. There no incentive to return you care and no incentive to pay. Surely parent would just keep child with new carer because it save them double paying? If want client to return, I think making them pay while you off not the best way do it.