Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sick families

Euphoric !

Sick families

So we have had a lot of illness in the past couple of months. I think we've had more illness in this past short while compared to the whole of last year. Not sure if this is just coincidence but I had a new DCB start in September and it seems this family is always sick. The dad shows up today with his sick daughter in tow (the DCB was fine). She was still in her pjs and the dad looked like the walking dead as he is also really sick. I observed that this was rude but asked that the daughter stay near the door (my preference would have been that she waited outside and I just took the boy). He looked at me like I just told him to f-off. I had spent the previous night disinfecting because I knew the sister was sick and worried about the brother. Do I have a right to ask this? Should I have a conversation with this family about their illnesses?

Euphoric !
    Of course you have the right to ask her to stay at the door! I would explain why though...can you stay by the door in hopes of not spreading your illness to the other children. If you leave that part out then it may just seem rude!

There really isn't much you can do about families that get sick a lot. If they are following your sick child policy that is about all you can do.

I would feel it is ok to chat with them about helping to contain the illness. Making a quick drop off and pick up, keeping the sister at the door to prevent spread etc. They truly just may not have thought of it. Especially when they are sick and feeling crappy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I expect illnesses to spike any time a new family joins so I wouldn't talk to them just yet if it was me.

Also, if it was me, I wouldn't have asked her to stay by the door. The amount of time they would be exposing themselves to the others wouldn't really affect them anymore than the child being there all day. If dad is sick and near the kids it's the same for daughter in my mind.

I can see why you did it and even though I wouldn't have, I don't think you were in the wrong either. I would just explain your concern

Expansive...
    I find the parent do not think about the other children so it is okay to remind them now and then

Today at pick-up you could say something like sorry if it came out the wrong way but I am concern about the spreading of germs as I just spent last night disinfecting and I am trying to keep the cold from spreading to the other kids

it might help Dad see it from your side of things