Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoon View Post
    What if they say "OK. we will take the risk of loosing the place and don't want to pay half during summer" ?
    Then that's their choice. They risk not having a space available.

Outgoing
    What I meant was, If they say "we will take the risk" should I still charge more then the other families until summer holidays?

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoon View Post
    What if they say "OK. we will take the risk of loosing the place and don't want to pay half during summer" ?
    Then I advertise to fill their spot for July 1. I don't hold spots for free EVER!
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    Then I advertise to fill their spot for July 1. I don't hold spots for free EVER!
    Yep. I would make SURE that spot were filled for September entry. If you want a spot then you PAY for it or it will be GONE!

Outgoing
    Should I charge more then the other families until summer holidays then?

Euphoric !
    My teachers have two choices. If they pay the regular fee then the contract ends in June and I start advertising in January to fill the space as of July 1 which if you advertise far enough in advance it is usually possible to get someone that wants to start over the summer as in come Sept the space would have been filled. If they pay the higher rate the space is held till June with the option of returning in Sept (the higher fee covers part of the summer for me) and the space is only held for Sept if they pay the deposit of two weeks. My deposit goes towards the first two weeks of care not the last.

Outgoing
    Thank you all. This is what I was thinking of offering them. Either, they pay normal fee until end of June but no guaranteed space for September. OR they will pay higher rate but will secure a place when they come back from holiday.

Thank you all again.
    Cocoon

Euphoric !
    Make sure you make them pay something for September. The problem with them being off all summer is that they are out and about and it is quite likely the more time they spend at the neighbourhood park they will meet other caregivers or their child will become friends with a another child whose caregiver could take her and there is a great risk they won't return in Sept even though they said they wanted to. Again speaking from experience here which is why my rules for teachers changed.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Make sure you make them pay something for September. The problem with them being off all summer is that they are out and about and it is quite likely the more time they spend at the neighbourhood park they will meet other caregivers or their child will become friends with a another child whose caregiver could take her and there is a great risk they won't return in Sept even though they said they wanted to. Again speaking from experience here which is why my rules for teachers changed.
    Exactly this! This is why if you are going to charge a higher fee for them through the year, that you need to charge them a deposit for Sept....or...charge regular fees through the year and get them to pay something over the summer to hold their spot.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    Before I changed my policy I did charge a holding fee over the summer but insisted the child come one day a week or two part days to assure that the child progressed along with the group and the parent liked it because it gave them one day a week to do their own thing and they were paying for it anyways. My main reason was partly so the parent couldn't undo all my rules over the summer but it was more to keep me and the parent and child in contact all summer. It is harder to hide that you are planning to make changes if you see the caregiver and you chat about things including the coming year all summer long.