Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Teacher families...

What do you do interms of holidays? I had my second interview with a family where mom is a teacher. It went really well. She asked me what Is my approach for teacher families as she has 2 months holidays in July and in August. I told her if parents go away and I'm available I would expect to be paid and I have a business to run and a mortgage to pay.

My mentality is, if they go away they should still pay as I don't want to suffer while they are enjoying their holidays. Why would I be the one paying for this loss? Altho, I do understand that they don't want to paid for the childvare where they can look after their kids. But again I have a business to run and expenses to paid.

Now my question is do you have teacher families? How do you work out holidays?

I'm thinking of offering them 6 months contract only and then they can take their holidays but I can not guarantee a place for them when they are back.

Also is it difficult to find families who require 2 months care only during the summer? She said there are families who only need summer care and it shouldnt be difficlut to fill those 2 months. If that was the case I can do it but I don't want do count on that.

I would appreciate your inputs on this.
    Thank you.
    Cocoon

Euphoric !
    It is easy to fill the summer months if you are willing to take school age kids who of course are also out of school. Problem is you will end up with kids not used to being with little ones all day and expecting to go on outings, the park, be outside etc all day and that doesn't fit with infant nap schedules.

What I do with teachers is charge them more during the school year ($200 week including Christmas and March breaks instead of the regular $185) but then let them have the summer off with the privelege of bringing the child one day a week (day of my choice). They also pay for the first two weeks of Sept before they leave in June. Then if they dont' return it is a lost deposit. What this does is also prevent the teacher that says they will leave the child for the summer and then come June change their minds (or tell you the truth which is they never intended child to stay). Also charging more during the year works better as some teachers are paid only for the 10 months but make extra as in their summer pay is spread out whereas some school boards pay 12 times and the teachers get a pay in the summer.

For a teacher that insists no way are they paying then they are given a Sept to June contract at my regular rates, have to pay for Christmas and March breaks but can also send child if they want some catch up around the house time. But I make it clear that I will then start to advertise to fill an opening for July. They may luck out and find that I have a child leaving over the summer to start school and be able to have that space the following Sept but of course that is never a sure thing.

It comes down to the teacher not being able to have everything they want. They want the security of their child having the same daycare provider throughout preschool but not willing to pay for it.

Outgoing
    Thank you playfelt.

I will be charging them for $1000 per month(full time) but I will only look after 2 kids at any giving time. They know that their children will get more one on one and personilized care. Parents are very happy with this especially, when they have small kids as they need more attention and care. It's like having a nanny.

Two months cut is a bit too much for me as I will only be relaying on one part time income.

Outgoing
    For my teacher families, I charge them full fees for their shorter breaks...like Christmas, Spring break, etc. and over the summer months they pay half fees to keep their spot for the fall and I allow them a certain number of days/month for their half fees.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Outgoing
    I think I will do a 6 months contract until the end of June. And when they come back in September if I have a space for them then I will take them on if not I won't.

Any teacher I have had in care before I had pay $5 more per day. And that gave them all school holidays off with no pay and no care. AND, I make them pay me a new deposit every June that holds their spot again for Sept. If they don't return in Sept then they forfeit the deposit.

Also, if they DO want the occassional day of care over the summer or school breaks they pay additional fees for that.

Outgoing
    What do you do with the previous years' deposit if you don't mind me asking? Give them back to families at the end of the contract or you don't get last 2 weeks payment and use the deposit to cover the last 2 weeks payments?

Thank you.

I do the same as fruitloop. Full fees every week, regardless of attendance (I do this for every family, mind you), and teachers pay half fees during the summer months.

Outgoing
    What if they say "OK. we will take the risk of loosing the place and don't want to pay half during summer" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoon View Post
    What do you do with the previous years' deposit if you don't mind me asking? Give them back to families at the end of the contract or you don't get last 2 weeks payment and use the deposit to cover the last 2 weeks payments?

Thank you.
    For the 2-week deposit - I use it for their first 2-weeks of care - the Trial Period.