Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    ECE; Early Childhood Education, ECA; something, something, Assistant, I think.

A DEC (deplome d'etudes collegiale) will be recognised in other provinces. I had never heard of TAV before. I assume private college means you pay tuition. If you went to Dawson (English) or other CEGEP, then the DEC is tuition free. At least mine was 20+ yrs ago. It also depends on your province/country of origin. I am from Quebec, so the CEGEP diploma I took was free.

If you are wanting to work in a daycare centre, then a DEC is what you need. Lee-Bee is right, if you have a university degree, that's not going to help you much. I will give you an example. My brother has a college diploma,... in something, (that I'm just now realizing I don't know what it is called) airplane technology. He is a technician. He designs, builds and installs airplanes parts, and systems. But, because he doesn't have the degree from a university, he is not an engineer, so he is limited. Everything he does has to be approved by an actual engineer. Daycare is different. Having a higher level of education does not get you farther.

So ultimately, the decision of what course to take will be based on what job you want in the future. The best information will come from the colleges and universities. Contact Concordia and ask them what careers their child-studies and art courses are geared toward. They will have career counselors and guidance people on staff to help with that.

A college diploma in something like early childhood education, focuses on practical, useful knowledge for people who are going to work in childcare settings. The kind of things you will need in the day to day performance of that job. I don't know about all degree programs, but the art degree I tried at Concordia was not practical at all. A lot of theory and speculation and self-centered, self-important, artsy-fartsy people with nothing better to do than to wonder things like, what would Freud think about this sculpture.... oh, sorry, I digress.

This is the regulation in Quebec that explains the requirements for staff at childcare centres. Look at Section 22. http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gou...S4_1_1R2_A.HTM Basically, you don't have to have any ECE training to work in a centre, you need the First Aid and CPR, RCMP police check, but that's all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

R.B

Euphoric !
    ECA= Early childhood assistant. I'm not sure of their qualifications but these are the people who work alongside the teachers in the kindergarten programs. I just googled it and it seems to be a private college course program...so maybe this is what they call them in the job postings but they are actually ECE's??? I'm not sure.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

R.B

Kindertime thank alot
    i am afraid to have the dec degree which is quite similar to the child studies at concordia then i will need to have a higher degree in case i want to have my own center of activites

Toronto kids
    at tav college yes it is a private college recognised by goverment and there is financial aid
    most of the teachers at thd day care my son used to go to are graduated from there and it seems a good one
    for the assitance i have also searched found private courses