Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter pick-ups

Shy

Winter pick-ups

Hello! Just wondering how everyone handles pick-ups when winter weather is a factor? I have 2 families that frequently come at the very last minute before close (occasionally late "because of traffic"). I'm worried that the "bad traffic because of the weather" card is going to be played frequently this winter. Am I just being a harda$$ by thinking this is unacceptable (other than on the most extreme days)? When my kids were in daycare and the weather was bad, I left early so I would still get there on time. I want to add a blurb to my upcoming newsletter saying something along the lines of "Our families activities intensify during the winter months: please be ready to make alternate pick-up arrangements in the winter should the weather or traffic prevent you from getting to daycare before closing time". Any thoughts or suggestions?

Euphoric !
    Your closing time is your closing time regardless of weather. If they are late then you charge them your late fee and remind them that too many late pickups may result in termination.

If you have a hard time making your family commitments due to weather and parents picking up last minute then adjust closing time
    Last edited by mickyc; 11-03-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Euphoric !
    I think it depends on your hours of care. If you are only open 8.5 hrs then it is legit that a family may in fact run late due to weather if they work an 8hr day as there really isn't any wiggle room.

If you are open 10-11hrs and the parents work an 8hr day then in most cases there really is no reason to be late as they have 2-3hrs of leeway to work with and they need to adjust their drop off time to allow enough time at the end of the day to have some extra time should they get caught up in traffic.

If they are truly finding that they do not have enough time from the end of their work day to get to you by the end of their work day they have a few options. alter their working hours to allow more time. They can often also shorten their lunch hour by 10-15min to be able to leave earlier. Many work places can allow such accommodation if the parent properly sets them up.

The reality is that you need to have your closing time set so that even if all parents show up at the exact last minute you can make it to your activities. You can never expect everyone to be gone early for your sake.

A letter home reminding parents of your closing time and that they are responsible for adjusting their work hours to work within your hours of care and that on days they know there will be major traffic delays (storms) they are responsible for leaving work early or sending an alternate pick up person is a good way to get parents thinking of this before it is too late.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Yeah, my husband thinks I'm being draconian, but I figure my closing time has always been the same and they should have found a different provider if 5:30 was going to be difficult for them.

Expansive...
    I still enforce late pickup fees on poor weather days. That's why all families must have a backup relative/friend to pick their child up. Leave earlier if you have to pickup a child by a set time. I have also stopped taking clients who commute on the train, as there are so many delays on a frequent basis.

Euphoric !
    Some people can't leave work early just due to weather. The odd time it happens, I'm forgiving, life happens and I'd want that same courtesy extended to me. There are times I've been late to various things due to weather so I get it.

However, if you feel that reason is being abused than yes, charge your late fee!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey mom View Post
    Hello! Just wondering how everyone handles pick-ups when winter weather is a factor? I have 2 families that frequently come at the very last minute before close (occasionally late "because of traffic"). I'm worried that the "bad traffic because of the weather" card is going to be played frequently this winter. Am I just being a harda$$ by thinking this is unacceptable (other than on the most extreme days)? When my kids were in daycare and the weather was bad, I left early so I would still get there on time. I want to add a blurb to my upcoming newsletter saying something along the lines of "Our families activities intensify during the winter months: please be ready to make alternate pick-up arrangements in the winter should the weather or traffic prevent you from getting to daycare before closing time". Any thoughts or suggestions?
    My business close same time, every day, all year. Some client have found hard in Winter but must consider when coming here. I charge for late collect and if it on-going issue I will terminate care. They have arrange to leave on time, find daycare open later or have someone able to pick up if they held up.

Be harda$$. If they went grocery shopping after closing time, guess what? Store closed. Just because we can't place child on step and leave, that not mean we have to tolerate.

As you say, if you were centre, there would be zero tolerance.

If their child in Brownie or Scout, they manage get to Community Hall on time and end of session. It their responsibility as parent to be there pick up child when activities end, when friend's party ends, when school concert ends, when playdate ends. This no different.

I have had family in past who come very last minute even though they finish early or even if off for day. Once their financial penalty for these type parent, they will usually be on time. And if not, be firm that they might have find alternative care if it continue.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post: