Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Saving spots for possible clients

I am opening a unlicensed daycare and I'm starting to get people contacting me. I have a lady that just email me that and says she needs care for her daughter that will be one in March and that of course she will be going back to work than and she does shift work. I don't know if I should take her on or just wait for someone to contact me for care now. I also put in my ad for full time only. Just want to know what other providers would do. Thank you in advance.

Euphoric !
    I don't ever hold spots. If someone wants it they need to start paying for it when it opens. I cannot afford to have spots open and no option to fill as someone is taking it later on. I would tell her you will put her name on your waiting list and contact her in February if the spot is still open.

That being said, I have just had a spot open in October. I have not filled it and have only had 1 meeting. The family I met with was great, liked my policies, had good jobs, location worked, hours worked, they had backup care, little girl was so sweet! Only problem is she didn't need care until February and didn't want to pay that far in advance. I thanked them and left it at that for now. Well my area is full of daycares with open spots lately with next to no families looking. I then found out one of my daycare kids is done beginning of April as mom is pregnant. I am panicking as my location is not ideal for most. I cannot afford 2 spots open. I offered the mom the spot beginning January 4th. They said they wanted it!!! So now just waiting for them to come back from a trip for her to drop off deposit and paperwork. Spot is still being advertised (zero enquirers!). So I chose to fill the spot for January and be guaranteed a child in January instead of stressing and hoping I fill it.

Shy
    I proabley will do what you said put her name on a waiting list and contact her in February if there are any spots open. Thank you mickyc

Euphoric !
    I would never take a shift worker. The irregular schedule can wreak havoc on a child trying to adjust to daycare and their needed hours just don't align with home daycare hours. Shift workers need to find care that is open 24/7 with flexible schedules or a live in nanny.

As for holding the spot until March. I would only consider this for the perfect family, that pays a deposit to ensure they fill the spot when they say they will and who will be paying for full time care (within my open hours), IF and only IF I was willing to forgo that pay for numerous months. If I wanted a lighter load for a few months over the summer for more outings or if i was just opening up and wanted to ease into a full group etc.

ALSO I would never hold a spot for a child under the age of 2 if in Ontario. You only get 2 children under 2, those spots will fill easily and they spots for children over age 2 will take a long time to fill. Holding an open, unpaid spot for a child under age 2 would wreck havoc on your income!!

Euphoric !
    also what this persons shifts are differents days each week then they need a full time spot ...its called flex care .... you could never get another family to fill in the days as they change each week ....thing is these families only want to pay part time fees even though they take up a full time spot ....

Euphoric !
    I don't hold spots either. They either have to start paying when the spot opens or take a risk and see it's open when they need it. This has never worked out though as my spots have always filled before than

As for shift work....is she the only one who will be doing drop off and pick up? Almost all my families have or had at least one parent who does shifts but they just take turns dropping off and picking up depending on the day. They have to pay ft though whether the child comes on a parents day off or not
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 11-03-2015 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Darn autocorrect! Lol

Euphoric !
    I not hold place for longer than 2 week. I had child leave on 2nd Oct and just this weekend filled with someone starting 12th Nov. They came interview on Thursday and paid deposit and sign contact for 12th Nov start.

Normally, I do like Micky and if they want it, they pay it but it been so quiet here that I bend own rule just to know it filled.

When I had Sept vacancy from child go school, I contract for that back in Jan and the parent had pay for the Sept space from time it became empty even though mat leave not end until this month. They decide go back work early.

Problem with holding place long time, even with deposit, so much change in that time. Mom might decide not return work and after holding place so long, you back square one. To hold place for shift worker too, might mean turn away 9-5 parent who want sooner starting.

When parent want care months away, I interview and then if I want them, add to wait list.