Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nap issue

Starting to feel at home...

Nap issue

Hello everyone.
    So here I am again with a 1 year old that just won't nap. I had to put him separate from my other kids because he falls asleep crying at the top of his lungs, sleeps for 20 minutes and wakes up screaming bloody murder. I let him cry it out, but it has been a month and no improvement.
    Any advice??

Euphoric !
    Yikes, that's tough! You are already doing everything I'd suggest so I guess now I would either give it more time or terminate if I was finding it too disruptive to my group

Euphoric !
    If you haven't already considered could: hunger, too hot, too cold, too much light be at all involved?

Are you noticing any variation in the length he sleeps once finally asleep?
    What is sleep like at home?

Shy
    We had one like that, took 6 weeks, but now he sleeps for 2-3 hours here, still won't nap at home for his parents though. We just had to let him cry it out. He no longer cries, he just lies down and goes to sleep. We had him in a separate room with music playing softly.

Starting to feel at home...
    Hi lee-bee, yes I've considered everything. It's not hunger. We have nap right after lunch and he eats well, he also gets 4 oz of milk too before he goes down. I have him in my bedroom, in a playpen with his blanket and the lights are off. When he was with mom he cat napped, 3-4 times a day, I refused to do that because I don't think he needs those many naps at 1 year. I tried giving him a nap in the morning and than in the afternoon. He won't sleep in the morning, only in the afternoon for 20 min. I think it is just him, he doesn't want to sleep! I let him cry it out until nap time is over and when I go get him he is all happy and playful. I hope it changes. I can't bear the screaming, it's like someone is torturing him ��

Expansive...
    Have you tried putting a fan on or white noise, or lullaby music, or water sounds?

Outgoing
    I'm dealing with this issue now too with a 15 mnth dcb. I am able to have the other 4 dcbs in separate rooms with white noise on in each room and the others seems to be able to tune the cried out. I had same problem with his 3 yr old brother who cried like torture for 3 months. I contemplated terminating but decided to stick it out because they are no trouble otherwise. Now the 3 yr old needs me to wake him up and he's my best kid. It's tough tho. This little guy already starts hyper ventilating after lunch b/c he knows nap time is coming. Like he thinks he's the only one in nap and everyone is still playing. Or like phobia. He's an angel otherwise. I'm trying to to tune him out while I'm on different floor,but it's hard! I know it'll be over at some point.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by suzydominguez View Post
    When he was with mom he cat napped, 3-4 times a day, I refused to do that because I don't think he needs those many naps at 1 year. I tried giving him a nap in the morning and than in the afternoon. He won't sleep in the morning, only in the afternoon for 20 min. I think it is just him, he doesn't want to sleep! I let him cry it out until nap time is over and when I go get him he is all happy and playful. I hope it changes. I can't bear the screaming, it's like someone is torturing him ��
    Totally understandable. Remember, human beings are creatures of habit. His body is used to sleeping for short periods of time and then being back to full alert. It will take time for him to adjust to a specific nap schedule. It has happened here too. I stick to the clock with this kind of situation. Right now, morning nap is 1 hr, crying or not and I will wake the baby if still sleeping; and afternoon nap is 2 hrs, same deal. The older kids have the flexiblity to get up a bit early, if they wake up themselves, but to get the infants into the routine, they have to stick to the schedule, and are in another room.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I just remembered that I had a child who would very rarely nap here but during his last week of care, I found that a heater being on helped him sleep. Mom said he slept with one at home....but had never mentioned in it all the time he was previously here as she never thought about it!!! Ahhh!!! Lol

Ask mom how he sleeps at home...,every detail!! (Blanket on/off, fan, heater, dark, curtains open, stuffy, noise machine, on stomach/back/side, story before bed etc etc) Maybe there's something you can try that she does at home
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 11-04-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Shy
    How did this work out for you? I'm dealing with the same issue now with 15 month old dcg. We've been working on naps for 4 weeks now --- only sleeps through one cycle and then is up screaming. She still gets nursed to sleep and back to sleep at home --- am I fighting a losing battle???